* Copying a set of files whose filenames match a regular expression
@ 2007-04-24 10:50 Nordlöw
From: Nordlöw @ 2007-04-24 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hey again, Emacs Lovers.

How do I copy/move a set of files matching a regular expression from
one directory to another? It seems like copy/move-file() takes only
one file at a time.

Thanks in advance,
Per Nordlöw

* Re: Copying a set of files whose filenames match a regular expression
@ 2007-04-24 11:54 ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2007-04-24 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Nordlöw <per.nordlow@gmail.com> writes:

> Hey again, Emacs Lovers.
>
> How do I copy/move a set of files matching a regular expression from
> one directory to another? It seems like copy/move-file() takes only
> one file at a time.

dired provides this capability. You can move/copy files based on a regexp.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au

* RE: Copying a set of files whose filenames match a regular expression
@ 2007-04-24 13:23 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2007-04-24 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nordlöw, help-gnu-emacs

> How do I copy/move a set of files matching a regular expression from
> one directory to another?

In Dired: `%m' to mark files matching a regexp, then `C' to copy the marked
files.

* Re: Copying a set of files whose filenames match a regular expression
@ 2007-04-24 14:18 ` james
From: james @ 2007-04-24 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Apr 24, 5:50 am, Nordlöw <per.nord...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey again, Emacs Lovers.
>
> How do I copy/move a set of files matching a regular expression from
> one directory to another? It seems like copy/move-file() takes only
> one file at a time.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Per Nordlöw

%m (dired-mark-files-regexp)

then

R (dired-do-rename)

You can get a list of all the dired bindings by C-h m in a dired buffer