* ftp and dired
@ 2008-12-30 15:44 henry atting
       [not found] ` <mailman.3597.1230664064.26697.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: henry atting @ 2008-12-30 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I am looking for a solution to display a remote directory via ftp in
dired-mode (or in eshell)
Some time ago I got it working with bbdb (simply typing `F' over a ftp
entry and I was done). Now a new window opens and I get a simply command
line prompt:

,----
| 230-
| 230-  Please note that this server is located in Germany, Europe.
| 230-  Most packages available are copied from other, mostly US, servers.
| 230-
| 230 Login successful.
| Remote system type is UNIX.
| Using binary mode to transfer files.
| ftp>
`----

Same thing if I do an `cd /anonymous@ftp.uni-erlangen.de:/' in an
eshell.
I hope there will be another solution than tramp. Some time ago I spent
to much time to get it work with ido and icicles. Now, facing the same
problems again, I won't do it anymore.

henry

* Re: ftp and dired
@ 2008-12-30 19:07 ` Ian Eure
       [not found] ` <mailman.3597.1230664064.26697.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Ian Eure @ 2008-12-30 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: henry atting; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Dec 30, 2008, at 7:44 AM, henry atting wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am looking for a solution to display a remote directory via ftp in
> dired-mode (or in eshell)

This uses Ange-FTP by way of Tramp, and works for me:
C-x d /ftp:anonymous@ftp.uni-erlangen.de:/ RET

This works in eshell:
cd /ftp:anonymous@ftp.uni-erlangen.de:/ RET

Works for me in Emacs 22 & Emacs 23 CVS.

  - Ian

* Re: ftp and dired
       [not found] ` <mailman.3597.1230664064.26697.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-12-31  5:56   ` henry atting
From: henry atting @ 2008-12-31  5:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Zitat - Ian Eure * Di Dez 30 2008 um 20:07 -

> On Dec 30, 2008, at 7:44 AM, henry atting wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am looking for a solution to display a remote directory via ftp in
>> dired-mode (or in eshell)
>>

> This uses Ange-FTP by way of Tramp, and works for me:
> C-x d /ftp:anonymous@ftp.uni-erlangen.de:/ RET
>
> This works in eshell:
> cd /ftp:anonymous@ftp.uni-erlangen.de:/ RET
>
> Works for me in Emacs 22 & Emacs 23 CVS.

Both ways (the first one of course after unloading ido) work, but as
described before, with a prompt in another window.
But with `emacs -q' they work as expected. So something in my ~/.emacs
must cause this behaviour. I'll have to investigate further.

Thanks
henry