* Re: navigating in dired
@ 2004-02-26  8:38 ` Mario Domgörgen
From: Mario Domgörgen @ 2004-02-26  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Fabian Braennstroem <f.braennstroem@gmx.de> writes:

> I start using 'dired' instead of the 'Midnight-Commander' and now, I
> am looking for some feature 'mc' has.  Right now, my biggest problem
> is to navigate in a directory with a lot of subdirectories and
> files. Let's say I want to got to the file 'main' in that
> directory. In 'mc' I could type 'm' and the cursor jumps to the first
> word beginning with 'm'. How can I jump to this file quickly? Maybe,
> anybody has a function for that!?

You have the ful power of emacs in dired. Just use C-s or C-r ...

> The next thing is, I would like to have a hotlist/bookmarks, so that I
> can jump easy to certain directories. Does that exist?

Bookmark-set (usually bound to C-x r m) also work on directories. Just
press that combp when you in the dir you want to bookmark. YOu can jump
back to it with C-x r b.

> And for now the last question :-) Is it somehow possible to change to
> the 'root'-user during the dired-session?  So you don't have to open
> two Emacs-Windows.

Tramp, that come with cvs emacs and is downloadable on
http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/tramp works also great with dired.

HTH

Mario

--
The Tao that is seen
Is not the true Tao, until

* navigating in dired
@ 2004-02-26  8:51 Fabian Braennstroem
From: Fabian Braennstroem @ 2004-02-26  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I start using 'dired' instead of the 'Midnight-Commander' and now, I am looking
for some feature 'mc' has.
Right now, my biggest problem is to navigate in a directory with a lot of
subdirectories and files. Let's say I want to got to the file 'main' in that
directory. In 'mc' I could type 'm' and the cursor jumps to the first word
beginning with 'm'. How can I jump to this file quickly? Maybe, anybody has a
function for that!?

The next thing is, I would like to have a hotlist/bookmarks, so that I can jump
easy to certain directories. Does that exist?

And for now the last question :-)
Is it somehow possible to change to the 'root'-user during the dired-session?
So you don't have to open two Emacs-Windows.

Aeh sorry, one more question.
Does anybody use the mc-mode for dired?

Greetings!

--
Fabian Braennstroem
Duesseldorf/Berlin

* Re: navigating in dired
@ 2004-02-27 12:16   ` Fabian Braennstroem
From: Fabian Braennstroem @ 2004-02-27 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mario Domgörgen <kanaldrache@gmx.de> writes:

> Fabian Braennstroem <f.braennstroem@gmx.de> writes:
>
>> I start using 'dired' instead of the 'Midnight-Commander' and now, I
>> am looking for some feature 'mc' has.  Right now, my biggest problem
>> is to navigate in a directory with a lot of subdirectories and
>> files. Let's say I want to got to the file 'main' in that
>> directory. In 'mc' I could type 'm' and the cursor jumps to the first
>> word beginning with 'm'. How can I jump to this file quickly? Maybe,
>> anybody has a function for that!?
>
> You have the ful power of emacs in dired. Just use C-s or C-r ...

But when I want to jump to /root I first find dozens of 'r' in the
mode-column. That is not the nicest way.

>> The next thing is, I would like to have a hotlist/bookmarks, so that I
>> can jump easy to certain directories. Does that exist?
>
> Bookmark-set (usually bound to C-x r m) also work on directories. Just
> press that combp when you in the dir you want to bookmark. YOu can jump
> back to it with C-x r b.

That works nice.

>> And for now the last question :-) Is it somehow possible to change to
>> the 'root'-user during the dired-session?  So you don't have to open
>> two Emacs-Windows.
>
> Tramp, that come with cvs emacs and is downloadable on
> http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/tramp works also great with dired.

I don't know this one, I'll check it out.
Thanks!

One question, do you use only dired or anything else too?

Greetings!

--
Fabian Braennstroem
Duesseldorf/Berlin

* Re: navigating in dired
@ 2004-02-27 17:18     ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2004-02-27 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Fabian Braennstroem wrote:
 > Mario Domgo"rgen <kanaldrache@gmx.de> writes:
 >>Fabian Braennstroem <f.braennstroem@gmx.de> writes:
 >>>I start using 'dired' instead of the 'Midnight-Commander' and now, I
 >>>am looking for some feature 'mc' has.  Right now, my biggest problem
 >>>is to navigate in a directory with a lot of subdirectories and
 >>>files. Let's say I want to got to the file 'main' in that
 >>>directory. In 'mc' I could type 'm' and the cursor jumps to the first
 >>>word beginning with 'm'. How can I jump to this file quickly? Maybe,
 >>>anybody has a function for that!?
 >>
 >>You have the ful power of emacs in dired. Just use C-s or C-r ...
 >
 > But when I want to jump to /root I first find dozens of 'r' in the
 > mode-column. That is not the nicest way.

I understand what you want, and I agree it'd be a nice feature.  In the
meantime, try this: * % r RET M-}

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: navigating in dired
@ 2004-02-28 14:58       ` Mario Domgörgen
From: Mario Domgörgen @ 2004-02-28 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> writes:

> Fabian Braennstroem wrote:
>  > Mario Domgo"rgen <kanaldrache@gmx.de> writes:
>  >>Fabian Braennstroem <f.braennstroem@gmx.de> writes:
>  >>>I start using 'dired' instead of the 'Midnight-Commander' and now, I
>  >>>am looking for some feature 'mc' has.  Right now, my biggest problem
>  >>>is to navigate in a directory with a lot of subdirectories and
>  >>>files. Let's say I want to got to the file 'main' in that
>  >>>directory. In 'mc' I could type 'm' and the cursor jumps to the first
>  >>>word beginning with 'm'. How can I jump to this file quickly? Maybe,
>  >>>anybody has a function for that!?
>  >>
>  >>You have the ful power of emacs in dired. Just use C-s or C-r ...
>  >
>  > But when I want to jump to /root I first find dozens of 'r' in the
>  > mode-column. That is not the nicest way.
>
> I understand what you want, and I agree it'd be a nice feature.  In the
> meantime, try this: * % r RET M-}

Ah, sorry, i mistyped a "R" instead of "F" in Gnus and so i just send a
personal replay to Fabian... for the archive:

Just use M-g for dired-goto-file to jump to specific files...

HTH

Mario