From: Pascal Bourguignon <pjb@informatimago.com>
To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Re: emacs function for writing C++ iterator loop
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 09:31:10 +0200	[thread overview]

Mohitz <coolmohitz@gmail.com> writes:

>> Hi
>> This is probably a good starting point:http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/SkeletonMode
>> Cheers,
>
> Thank you so much... Got it working :)
>
> I would post the solution in case it benefits someone else..
>
> (define-skeleton generate-iterator-loop
>       "Generate Iterator Loop"
>       ""
>       > (setq v1 (skeleton-read "Iterate on? ")) "<"
>       > (setq v4 (skeleton-read "Class Name? ")) "> "
>       > (setq v2 (skeleton-read "Var Name? ")) " = "
>       > (setq v3 (skeleton-read "Points to? ")) ";" \n
>       > v1 "<" v4 ">::iterator " v2 "Iterate;" \n
>       > v2 "Iterate = " v2 ".begin();" \n
>       > "while (" v2 "Iterate != " v2  ".end())" \n
>       > "{" \n
>       > v4 " temp" v4 ";" \n
>       > "temp" v4 " = *" v2 "Iterate;" \n
>       > "//Do something with temp" v4 \n
>       > v2 "Iterate++;" \n
>       > "}" \n)

The problem with skeletons is that it inserts the results, and you or
your coworkers will edit it, so when the skeleton changes, the
generated parts cannot be updated automatically.

That's why macros (or preprocessors) are better: you edit only the
true source, the macro call or the macro definition, and the code
generated is updated everywhere.

NOTE: The most fundamental particles in this product are held
together by a "gluing" force about which little is currently known
and whose adhesive power can therefore not be permanently
guaranteed.