* about load paths
@ 2008-06-19 12:52 Rustom Mody
From: Rustom Mody @ 2008-06-19 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

As I understand it, if one has a simple customization file it should be put
into
~/.emacs.  But if there are a lot of customizaitons in many files, it is
recommended to ...
-- put them in ~/.emacs.d
-- put a starting init.el in there which loads anything else /does anything
else

But when I tried moving from .emacs file to a .emacs.d directory containing
an init and other files, *the other files are not found.*
**
That is to say I have to manually put
(add-to-list 'load-path "~/.emacs.d")
in the init.el or else other files there are not found

This seems to defeat the purpose of the emacs.d directory no??

Note: I am sitting on a windows box right now. I dont exactly remember the
behavior on linux but I guess it was more sane.

* Re: about load paths
@ 2008-06-19 14:34 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-06-19 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rustom Mody; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 19.06.2008 um 14:52 schrieb Rustom Mody:

> That is to say I have to manually put
> (add-to-list 'load-path "~/.emacs.d")
> in the init.el or else other files there are not found
>
> This seems to defeat the purpose of the emacs.d directory no??

No, it does not. GNu Emacs finds there its GTK resource file. When
you look up the variable load-path this element is not mentioned.

Different from this is the initial behaviour to look for an init.el
file in ~/.emacs.d. This one is found. If it loads other ELisp files,
then these have to be in load-path.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Don't force it; get a larger hammer.
				– Anthony's Law of Force

* Re: about load paths
@ 2008-06-19 14:42   ` Rustom Mody
From: Rustom Mody @ 2008-06-19 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 8:04 PM, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@web.de> wrote:

> Am 19.06.2008 um 14:52 schrieb Rustom Mody:
>
> That is to say I have to manually put
>> (add-to-list 'load-path "~/.emacs.d")
>> in the init.el or else other files there are not found
>>
>> This seems to defeat the purpose of the emacs.d directory no??
>>

> No, it does not. GNu Emacs finds there its GTK resource file. When you look
> up the variable load-path this element is not mentioned.
>
> Different from this is the initial behaviour to look for an init.el file in
> ~/.emacs.d. This one is found. If it loads other ELisp files, then these
> have to be in load-path.

Sorry I dont understand...

Different from what?
This element -- which?
GTK Resource file -- Whats that? (On WIndows?)

Please tell me if theres something (other than the emacs manual) I should
read

* Re: about load paths
@ 2008-06-19 15:37     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-06-19 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rustom Mody; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 19.06.2008 um 16:42 schrieb Rustom Mody:

> Different from what?

There is the phase in which the system's and/or the user's init file
are searched and found. Then, in another phase, when any of these is
found, it gets kind of executed. In this phase the load-path value is
important for the ability to (find and) load ELisp files.

> This element -- which?

This element is "~/.emacs.d" and not a part of the default load-path
value.

> GTK Resource file -- Whats that? (On WIndows?)

Why not? It's probably useless because you can't use a VM (virtual
machine) that runs a useful OS, as there are people who use a lorry
as their personal car. Or use their land-rover for a promenade on the
highway. For me, on Mac OS X, a GNOME Tool Kit resource file would
make some sense ...

Actually I use ~/.emacs.d to save desktop and session files, TRAMP
seems to use it, backup files from editing are stored here, and more
I don't understand.

--
Greetings

   Pete

No project was ever completed on time and within budget.
				– Cheops Law

* Re: about load paths
@ 2008-06-19 16:01     ` Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2008-06-19 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rustom Mody; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

"Rustom Mody" <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:

> On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 8:04 PM, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@web.de> wrote:
>

>> Am 19.06.2008 um 14:52 schrieb Rustom Mody:
>>
>> That is to say I have to manually put
>>> (add-to-list 'load-path "~/.emacs.d")
>>> in the init.el or else other files there are not found
>>>
>>> This seems to defeat the purpose of the emacs.d directory no??
>>>

>> No, it does not. GNu Emacs finds there its GTK resource file. When you look
>> up the variable load-path this element is not mentioned.
>>
>> Different from this is the initial behaviour to look for an init.el file in
>> ~/.emacs.d. This one is found. If it loads other ELisp files, then these
>> have to be in load-path.
>>
> Sorry I dont understand...
>
> Different from what?
> This element -- which?
> GTK Resource file -- Whats that? (On WIndows?)

Emacs, when it start look for an init file called .emacs or .emacs.el
in /home/$USER or a file called init.el in .emacs.d (i never used this scheme)
But not for other lisp files or not.
So if you want to put some files.el in .emacs.d, you will have to notify
emacs of that in your .emacs or init.el.

> Please tell me if theres something (other than the emacs manual) I should
> read
Emacs manual and all it's elisp doc are really good.
--
A + Thierry
Pub key: http://pgp.mit.edu