* Gmail in emacs?
@ 2013-04-13  3:46 Steven Degutis
From: Steven Degutis @ 2013-04-13  3:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

I use gmail heavily for my job. I particularly love how responsive gmail's
website is, and the keyboard shortcuts are great. I just wish it was inside
emacs.

Is there a sane, modern way to use gmail from within emacs, that archives
instead of deletes mail (technically this probably just means removing the
label "index"), and syncs properly with gmail's labels?

Thanks for your time reading this.

-Steven

* Re: Gmail in emacs?
@ 2013-04-14 18:14 ` Sivaram Neelakantan
From: Sivaram Neelakantan @ 2013-04-14 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sat, Apr 13 2013,Steven Degutis wrote:

> I use gmail heavily for my job. I particularly love how responsive gmail's
> website is, and the keyboard shortcuts are great. I just wish it was inside
> emacs.
>
> Is there a sane, modern way to use gmail from within emacs, that archives
> instead of deletes mail (technically this probably just means removing the
> label "index"), and syncs properly with gmail's labels?
>
> Thanks for your time reading this.
>
> -Steven

Well, there's Gnus with IMAP support, that might be of help.  And you
probably have to subscribe to all your labels to see them in your Gnus
client.  I believe labels are stored in GMAIL as IMAP folders
internally but I could be wrong on this.

 sivaram

* Re: Gmail in emacs?
@ 2013-04-14 21:09 ` James Freer
From: James Freer @ 2013-04-14 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven Degutis; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

On Sat, Apr 13, 2013 at 4:46 AM, Steven Degutis <sbdegutis@gmail.com> wrote:
> I use gmail heavily for my job. I particularly love how responsive gmail's
> website is, and the keyboard shortcuts are great. I just wish it was inside
> emacs.
>
> Is there a sane, modern way to use gmail from within emacs, that archives
> instead of deletes mail (technically this probably just means removing the
> label "index"), and syncs properly with gmail's labels?
>
> Thanks for your time reading this.
>
> -Steven

Not sure if i've understood you correctly... i set a filter on Gmail
UI by entering in a obscure word in the 'not' box i.e. so if an email
does not contain the word it is archived and then i read mail in the
All Mail box. Saves manually archiving every so often. I wonder if you
are a bit like me i like the Gmail UI for most things but it is useful
to use an email client sometimes. As a linux user i find Alpine the
best as i don't have to download headers each time i do an install of
a new release which is every six months. Alpine just reads on the
server and all i do is copy over the .pinerc file when i do an
install. No other mail client works as fast as Alpine i find.

Obviously if you like Gnus you could set it up to do similar... Gnus
was a bit complicated for me!

hth
james