* cursor stopping
@ 2014-11-29 14:58 michal panoch
       [not found] ` <mailman.14948.1417275932.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: michal panoch @ 2014-11-29 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

hi there,

i failed finding a solution elswhere so i try here..

while "scrolling" in a plaintext file (meaning just holding right arrow)
is it normal, that the cursor stops for a little bit after moving approx. 100
times?

does it have something to do with auto save or such like?

or is there a way to debug such a behavior?

--
-mp-

* Re: cursor stopping
@ 2014-11-29 15:45 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.14948.1417275932.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2014-11-29 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: michal panoch <michal@panoch.net>
> Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2014 15:58:29 +0100
>
> while "scrolling" in a plaintext file (meaning just holding right arrow)
> is it normal, that the cursor stops for a little bit after moving approx. 100
> times?
>
> does it have something to do with auto save or such like?
>
> or is there a way to debug such a behavior?

Could be garbage collection.  Type

  M-x set-variable RET garbage-collection-messages RET t RET

and see if Emacs displays "Garbage collecting...done" in the echo
area.

* Re: cursor stopping
       [not found] ` <mailman.14948.1417275932.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2014-11-29 16:09   ` michal panoch
From: michal panoch @ 2014-11-29 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Eli Zaretskii wrote on 29. Nov. 2014 @ 16:45:

>> From: michal panoch <michal@panoch.net>
>> Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2014 15:58:29 +0100
>>
>> while "scrolling" in a plaintext file (meaning just holding right arrow)
>> is it normal, that the cursor stops for a little bit after moving approx. 100
>> times?
>>
>> does it have something to do with auto save or such like?
>>
>> or is there a way to debug such a behavior?
>
> Could be garbage collection.  Type
>
>   M-x set-variable RET garbage-collection-messages RET t RET
>
> and see if Emacs displays "Garbage collecting...done" in the echo
> area.

well. when i turn GC messages on and keep scrolling, the cursor stops 10
times while the GC message appears only 2 times.. if i understand the GC
percentage/threshold variables, this is a correct behavior..

so, still no clue, who is stopping my cursor..

--
-mp-

* Re: cursor stopping
@ 2014-11-29 20:14     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2014-11-29 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: michal panoch <michal@panoch.net>
> Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2014 17:09:29 +0100
>
> so, still no clue, who is stopping my cursor..

What do you see on the mode line?  That is, are any minor modes
active, in addition to the Text mode?

* Re: cursor stopping
@ 2014-11-30  6:56       ` michal panoch
From: michal panoch @ 2014-11-30  6:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Eli Zaretskii wrote on 29. Nov. 2014 @ 21:14:

>> From: michal panoch <michal@panoch.net>
>> Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2014 17:09:29 +0100
>>
>> so, still no clue, who is stopping my cursor..
>
> What do you see on the mode line?  That is, are any minor modes
> active, in addition to the Text mode?

ok, it looks like it was the garbage collector together with:

(setq 'scroll-down-aggressively 0.1
      'scroll-up-aggressively 0.1)

so i set the gc values to 3x the original value:

(gc-cons-percentage 0.3)
(gc-cons-threshold 3200000)

and the scroll values to default nil and now it behaves ok.. i don't quite
understand, why the scroll values affected the right-char, left-char
functions.. ?

well, nevermind, thankx for your help..

--
-mp-

* Re: cursor stopping
@ 2014-11-30 15:12         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2014-11-30 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: michal panoch <michal@panoch.net>
> Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2014 07:56:29 +0100
>
> i don't quite understand, why the scroll values affected the
> right-char, left-char functions.. ?

Because when point goes off the window, no matter which command caused
that, Emacs scrolls the display to bring point back into view.

* Re: cursor stopping
@ 2014-12-02 20:41     ` Robert Thorpe
From: Robert Thorpe @ 2014-12-02 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: michal panoch; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

michal panoch <michal@panoch.net> writes:
> well. when i turn GC messages on and keep scrolling, the cursor stops 10
> times while the GC message appears only 2 times.. if i understand the GC
> percentage/threshold variables, this is a correct behavior..
>
> so, still no clue, who is stopping my cursor..

Do you have auto-revert-mode on?  That would do it.

If you're working over a network auto-saving could also be slow.

BR,
Robert Thorpe