* How can I search in all my buffers?
@ 2003-05-13  7:47 Wang Yin
From: Wang Yin @ 2003-05-13  7:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

I know I can search text with grep, TAGS, ...
But I often need to search in my opened buffers, how can I
do that?
Thanks.

--
Wang Yin
DA Lab, Tsinghua University,

* Re: How can I search in all my buffers?
@ 2003-05-13  7:51 ` Maurizio Loreti
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Maurizio Loreti @ 2003-05-13  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wang Yin <wang-y01@mails.tsinghua.edu.cn> writes:

> I know I can search text with grep, TAGS, ...
> But I often need to search in my opened buffers, how can I
> do that?

C-s

--
Maurizio Loreti                         http://www.pd.infn.it/~loreti/mlo.html
Dept. of Physics, Univ. of Padova, Italy              ROT13: ybergv@cq.vasa.vg

* Re: How can I search in all my buffers?
@ 2003-05-13  8:31 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-05-13  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wang Yin <wang-y01@mails.tsinghua.edu.cn> writes:

> I know I can search text with grep, TAGS, ...
> But I often need to search in my opened buffers, how can I
> do that?

I think ibuffer can do that.  It comes with recent Emacsen, if I'm
not mistaken.
--
This line is not blank.

* Re: How can I search in all my buffers?
@ 2003-05-13 13:49   ` Wang Yin
From: Wang Yin @ 2003-05-13 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

C-s can search the current buffer. But I want to search a
string in all my opened buffers and give me a list. How can
I do that?

I checked ibuffer, but it seems not maintained anymore.

--

@ 2003-05-13 14:14     ` John Paul Wallington
From: John Paul Wallington @ 2003-05-13 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wang Yin <wang-y01@mails.tsinghua.edu.cn> wrote:

> C-s can search the current buffer. But I want to search a
> string in all my opened buffers and give me a list. How can
> I do that?

> I checked ibuffer, but it seems not maintained anymore.

Get an older portable stable Ibuffer for Emacs from:
http://www.shootybangbang.com/ibuffer/ibuffer.el

Don't hestitate to send me bug reports, ideas, rants, shopping lists,
etc. about Ibuffer.  I like getting mail!

The latest and greatest Ibuffer is part of the Emacs development
sources, and has extra features like filter groups.

The multi-occur stuff has been moved into replace.el as independent
functionality in the development version of Emacs.  If you have it
try M-x multi-occur.

* Re: How can I search in all my buffers?
@ 2003-05-13 14:45     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-05-13 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wang Yin <wang-y01@mails.tsinghua.edu.cn> writes:

> I checked ibuffer, but it seems not maintained anymore.

It is maintained -- it is part of the development version of Emacs,
at least.  The last change was from 2003-04-26.

--
This line is not blank.

* Re: How can I search in all my buffers?
@ 2003-05-13 14:53 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-05-13 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wang Yin wrote:

> I know I can search text with grep, TAGS, ...
> But I often need to search in my opened buffers, how can I
> do that?

igrep.el has `M-x igrep-visited-files'.

--

* Re: How can I search in all my buffers?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
From: Rob Thorpe @ 2003-05-13 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wang Yin <wang-y01@mails.tsinghua.edu.cn> wrote in message news:<ph7k8vi8yk.fsf@wangyin.com>...
> I know I can search text with grep, TAGS, ...
> But I often need to search in my opened buffers, how can I
> do that?
> Thanks.

M-x multi-occur does what you want, but it's only available in CVS Emacs.

* Re: How can I search in all my buffers?
@ 2003-05-14  3:47       ` Wang Yin
From: Wang Yin @ 2003-05-14  3:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you very much.
The ibuffer package is wonderful.

It seem the newest CVS version can't work with my Emacs
21.2.

I'll stay at you portable version and be happy :)

--
Wang Yin
DA Lab, Tsinghua University,