* What are your favorite C/C++ tools for emacs?
@ 2007-06-16  8:03 Stefan Arentz
From: Stefan Arentz @ 2007-06-16  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I've been using emacs for a really long time as my primary tool when
working on C/C++ code but I've always just used the basics. A little
customized cc-mode, M-x compile and M-x man when working on UNIX code.

I'm interested to hear from others what their favorite tools or
extensions are for doing C/C++ development with emacs. I know there is
a lot on the emacs wiki but I find it more interesting to hear it here
from people.

 S.

* Re: What are your favorite C/C++ tools for emacs?
@ 2007-06-16 16:36 ` Hadron
From: Hadron @ 2007-06-16 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Stefan Arentz <stefan.arentz@gmail.com> writes:

> I've been using emacs for a really long time as my primary tool when
> working on C/C++ code but I've always just used the basics. A little
> customized cc-mode, M-x compile and M-x man when working on UNIX code.
>
> I'm interested to hear from others what their favorite tools or
> extensions are for doing C/C++ development with emacs. I know there is
> a lot on the emacs wiki but I find it more interesting to hear it here
> from people.
>
>  S.

I use cscope with xcscope.el (contrib subdir of the cscope archive). In
addition CEDET and ECB. I debug using GUD inside emacs. In conjunction I
use Planner to jot notes and provide links relevant to projects back to
source information such as info pages, web sites, irc channels or even
emails or nntp posts.

Nice.

* Re: What are your favorite C/C++ tools for emacs?
@ 2007-06-20 20:22 ` Ken Goldman
From: Ken Goldman @ 2007-06-20 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Not limited to C

- keyboard macros are #1.

- dabbrev-expand saves a lot of typing and typos for long variable and
function names (my style)

- egrep for finding where a function or variable is used and stepping
through matches

- autorevert for looking at debugger trace files in real time

- integration with CVS and SVN

- speedbar

Specifically for C:

- c-macro-expand, especially when maintaining code with a lot of clever
uncommented macros (not my style)