* Emacs 24 - next line with wrapped lines
@ 2012-06-29 22:57 nroose
From: nroose @ 2012-06-29 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

In the new emacs 24, when I am at the beginning of a wrapped line, and I hit
ctrl-n, it takes me to the next visual line, which is the middle of the
current actual line, instead of taking me to the beginning of the next
actual line.  Is there a way to turn this off?  I can understand this if
someone is writing prose, but when I am programming, this is NOT the way I
want it to be.

* Re: Emacs 24 - next line with wrapped lines
@ 2012-06-29 23:07 ` Christopher Schmidt
From: Christopher Schmidt @ 2012-06-29 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

nroose <nroose@earthlink.net> writes:

> In the new emacs 24, when I am at the beginning of a wrapped line, and
> I hit ctrl-n, it takes me to the next visual line, which is the middle
> of the current actual line, instead of taking me to the beginning of
> the next actual line.  Is there a way to turn this off?  I can
> understand this if someone is writing prose, but when I am
> programming, this is NOT the way I want it to be.

M-x customize-variable RET line-move-visual RET

        Christopher

* RE: Emacs 24 - next line with wrapped lines
@ 2012-07-02 14:40   ` Doug Lewan
From: Doug Lewan @ 2012-07-02 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Schmidt, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Thanks.

One of the things that attracted me to emacs from the beginning is that you can edit /files/. Most editors want you to edit /text/. The whole visual-line thing was a big step backwards for me, but I've never known how to undo it.

@ 2012-07-02 15:29     ` Aurélien Aptel
From: Aurélien Aptel @ 2012-07-02 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Doug Lewan; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org, Christopher Schmidt

On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 4:40 PM, Doug Lewan <dougl@shubertticketing.com> wrote:
> One of the things that attracted me to emacs from the beginning is that you can edit /files/. Most editors want you to edit /text/. The whole visual-line thing was a big step backwards for me, but I've never known how to undo it.

Also if you don't want lines to wrap in any way you can add this to your .emacs:

(setq truncate-partial-width-windows nil)
(setq-default truncate-lines t)

* Re: Emacs 24 - next line with wrapped lines
@ 2012-07-02 15:57       ` suvayu ali
From: suvayu ali @ 2012-07-02 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aurélien Aptel; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org, Christopher Schmidt

On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 5:29 PM, Aurélien Aptel
<aurelien.aptel+emacs@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 4:40 PM, Doug Lewan <dougl@shubertticketing.com> wrote:
>> One of the things that attracted me to emacs from the beginning is that you can edit /files/. Most editors want you to edit /text/. The whole visual-line thing was a big step backwards for me, but I've never known how to undo it.
>
> Also if you don't want lines to wrap in any way you can add this to your .emacs:
>
> (setq truncate-partial-width-windows nil)
> (setq-default truncate-lines t)

Well, I wrap lines for modes meant for prose, and turn it off for
programming modes. These are my relevant configs:

  (custom-set-variables
   ;; ...
   '(truncate-lines t))

  (add-hook 'text-mode-hook '(lambda() (visual-line-mode t)))

Cheers,

--
Suvayu