* tempo error
@ 2005-02-24 17:50 Michael Powe
From: Michael Powe @ 2005-02-24 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

When I try to edit an html file or anything else in that category
(.jsp, for instance), I get this error:

File mode specification error: (void-function tempo-define-template)

Can someone tell me where this might be coming from?  I have
html-helper-mode installed and it loads -- before the error I see the
message:

tempo.el is in the path and this is in my .emacs:

(provide 'tempo)
(setq tempo-interactive t)

Background: this is a new installation.  I brought over my .emacs from
the old install and "fixed" this installation by adding anything
needed for emacs to run correctly (added in the optional items such as
cal-desk-calendar.el and so forth).  But I was using html-helper-mode
quite extensively, so I know there wasn't anything wrong with the
.emacs then.

Any thoughts as to why the tempo function does not appear to get
loaded?  (tempo-interactive's value is t.)  Thanks.

mp

--
Michael Powe		michael@trollope.org		Naugatuck CT USA
"...we built a new continent in cyberspace where we could go live and be

* Re: tempo error -- Additional info
@ 2005-02-24 19:34 ` Michael Powe
       [not found] ` <mailman.1549.1109287758.32256.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Michael Powe @ 2005-02-24 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Michael> When I try to edit an html file or anything else in that
    Michael> category (.jsp, for instance), I get this error:

    Michael> File mode specification error: (void-function
    Michael> tempo-define-template)

    Michael> Can someone tell me where this might be coming from?  I
    Michael> have html-helper-mode installed and it loads -- before
    Michael> the error I see the message:

    Michael> tempo.el is in the path and this is in my .emacs:

    Michael> (provide 'tempo) (setq tempo-interactive t)

I've mucked around with this in every way I can imagine.  I've even
tried loading tempo.el manually in the scratch buffer with (load-file
"elisp/tempo.el") before editing an html file.  That just gets me a
different error:

File mode specification error: (wrong-type-argument number-or-marker-p
nil)

debug-on-error is not triggered by this error.

Help!  I want to get this working.

Thanks.

mp

--
Michael Powe		michael@trollope.org		Naugatuck CT USA
I hate a fellow whom pride, or cowardice, or laziness drives into a

* Re: tempo error
@ 2005-02-24 23:12 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.1549.1109287758.32256.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2005-02-24 23:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 24.02.2005 um 18:50 schrieb Michael Powe:

> (provide 'tempo)

How can your .emacs file provide something that's in a different Elisp
file? It can require though ...

--
Greetings

   Pete                           <]
              o        __o         |__    o       HPV, the real
     ___o    /I       -\<,         |o \  -\),-%     high speed!
___/\ /\___./ \___...O/ O____.....`-O-'-()--o_________________

* Re: tempo error
       [not found] ` <mailman.1549.1109287758.32256.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-02-25  4:08   ` michael+newsguy
From: michael+newsguy @ 2005-02-25  4:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <mailman.1549.1109287758.32256.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>, Peter Dyballa
says...

>Am 24.02.2005 um 18:50 schrieb Michael Powe:
>
>> (provide 'tempo)
>
>How can your .emacs file provide something that's in a different Elisp
>file? It can require though ...

Well, I don't know.  I know that I put that line in the .emacs on
March 16, 2003 and that I've edited a zillion html, jsp and asp files
with it since then.  Until now.

On this new install, it didn't work.  Taking a cue from you, I went
back and changed 'provide' to 'require' and was still getting an error
-- until I remembered to comment out the (setq tempo-insert-region t)
line, which never worked.  Bingo.

Thanks for the tip -- it turned out to be the winner!  Now, I can
sleep tonight.  ;-)

mp

--
Michael Powe		michael@trollope.org		Naugatuck CT USA
"It stands to reason that self-righteous, inflexible, single-minded,