* Emacs Turkish Support
@ 2006-01-08 20:29 mdozturk
       [not found] ` <mailman.460.1136818008.26925.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: mdozturk @ 2006-01-08 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,
I'm trying to create a Turkish website and I'm using emacs as an editor
to edit my php/html files.  I decided to use utf-8 as the coding
method, windows XP supports the turkish q keyboard.

I can create files with no problems whatsoever, I see turkish
characters correctly in emacs, they keyboard works as it is supposed
to, the web site correctly displays turkish characters.

I decided to edit one of the files I created earlier, when emacs loads
the file it thinks the file is latin-1 and loads it as such so I see
garbage on screen.  I try to tell emacs that the encoding is utf-8
using C-X RET f utf-8-dos RET C-X C-F filaname.  Emacs seems to like
that command (I get a 'u' on the lower left specifying the buffer is
utf-8) but the screen still shows garbage.

I'm using emacs 21.3.1.

Any suggestions?

Mustafa

* Re: Emacs Turkish Support
@ 2006-01-09 12:00 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.460.1136818008.26925.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-01-09 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 08.01.2006 um 21:29 schrieb mdozturk@yahoo.com:

> I'm trying to create a Turkish website and I'm using emacs as an
> editor
> to edit my php/html files.  I decided to use utf-8 as the coding
> method, windows XP supports the turkish q keyboard.

How about:

    (modify-coding-system-alist 'file "\\.html\\'" 'utf-8)
    (modify-coding-system-alist 'process 'UTF-8 'UTF-8)
       (setq default-terminal-coding-system    'utf-8)
       (set-default-coding-systems             'utf-8)
       (prefer-coding-system                   'utf-8)

--
Greetings

   Pete

"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then
the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."
                               -- Weinberg's Second Law.

* Re: Emacs Turkish Support
       [not found] ` <mailman.460.1136818008.26925.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-01-10  2:21   ` mdozturk
From: mdozturk @ 2006-01-10  2:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks Pete, that worked.

* Re: Emacs Turkish Support
       [not found] ` <mailman.460.1136818008.26925.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-01-12 23:03   ` Stefan Monnier
       [not found]     ` <mailman.879.1137108639.26925.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2006-01-12 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> I'm trying to create a Turkish website and I'm using emacs as an  editor
>> to edit my php/html files.  I decided to use utf-8 as the coding
>> method, windows XP supports the turkish q keyboard.

> How about:

>     (modify-coding-system-alist 'file "\\.html\\'" 'utf-8)
>     (modify-coding-system-alist 'process 'UTF-8 'UTF-8)
>        (setq default-terminal-coding-system    'utf-8)
>        (set-default-coding-systems             'utf-8)
>        (prefer-coding-system                   'utf-8)

In most cases, it is cleaner to just change one's locale, as in

   export LC_ALL=fr_CH.UTF-8

check `locale -a' to see which locales are available and figure which one
you want,

* Re: Emacs Turkish Support
@ 2006-01-12 23:28     ` Ismael Valladolid Torres
       [not found]     ` <mailman.879.1137108639.26925.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Ismael Valladolid Torres @ 2006-01-12 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stefan Monnier escribe:
> >> I'm trying to create a Turkish website and I'm using emacs as an  editor
> >> to edit my php/html files.  I decided to use utf-8 as the coding
> >> method, windows XP supports the turkish q keyboard.
>
> > How about:
>
> >     (modify-coding-system-alist 'file "\\.html\\'" 'utf-8)
> >     (modify-coding-system-alist 'process 'UTF-8 'UTF-8)
> >        (setq default-terminal-coding-system    'utf-8)
> >        (set-default-coding-systems             'utf-8)
> >        (prefer-coding-system                   'utf-8)
>
> In most cases, it is cleaner to just change one's locale, as in
>
>    export LC_ALL=fr_CH.UTF-8
>
> check `locale -a' to see which locales are available and figure which one
> you want,

You don't have locales on a Windows XP system.

Cordially, Ismael
--
Dropping science like when Galileo dropped his orange

* Re: Emacs Turkish Support
       [not found]     ` <mailman.879.1137108639.26925.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-01-13  5:17       ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2006-01-13  5:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> export LC_ALL=fr_CH.UTF-8
>>
>> check `locale -a' to see which locales are available and figure which one
>> you want,

> You don't have locales on a Windows XP system.

I'm sure there's an equivalent, probably called differently.
But in any case you can use

    (set-locale-environment "foo.UTF-8")

in your .emacs.