From: Tim X <timx@nospam.dev.null>
Subject: Re: gnu.emacs.sources ettiqutte question
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 19:16:59 +1000	[thread overview]

"Þorne" <ego111@gmail.com> writes:

> I wrote a generic mode for syntax highlighting IBM AS/400 CL (Control
> Language) files.  It seems to work so far.
>
> Leaving aside the question of who really cares or wants such an obscure
> thing, i am wondering about the rules for posting on gnu.emacs.sources.
>  Emacs is free and the code for the mode is free, but it is only useful
> for editing files which only run on a distinctly non-free operating
> system--and one for which i suspect there is no free replacement going
> to be written... ever.
>
> So i guess there is an analogy with, say, an editing mode for java
> files back when there was no free java compiler.  Or something.
> Anyway, i'm interested to know if posting such a thing would likely be
> frowned upon.
>
> Thanks.

I don't think there should be any problem. When you think about it,
emacs runs on a number of non-free platforms, such as Windows, VAX,
Solaris, True64 etc. There are also many modes which interact with
non-free applications, such as sql-mode, plsql-mode etc. I also know
people use emacs modes to edit sources used with non-free software,
such as compilers etc.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au