Hi to all We have succeeded at last. The problem was that my fried was using Emacs 21 which is standard in Debian Etch. This version is seemingly unable to send smtp-authentification in plain text. But this is what the German gmx relay-server requires. There is a patch on EmacsWiki under the rubric SMTP_AUTH together with the information that the CVS version already contains the patch. So, we installed the CVS emacs-snapshot for Debian. Now it works. This also explains, why it has always worked for me but not for him, because I always use the CVS snapshot. Thanks for all your suggestions. Greetings Sven