* Customize reftex according to auctex mode
@ 2008-11-30 10:15 Jean Magnan de Bornier
       [not found] ` <mailman.1549.1228057943.26697.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Jean Magnan de Bornier @ 2008-11-30 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi all,
I have been trying to customize reftex-cite-format to be "\cite{%l}" when
using LaTeX, and "\cite[%l]" when using ConTeXt.

My first attempt was simply the last line here:

(add-hook 'ConTeXt-mode-hook
	  (function
 	   (lambda ()
 	     (reftex-mode t)
 	     (auto-fill-mode 1)
 	     (LaTeX-math-mode 1)
 	     ))
(setq reftex-cite-format "\\cite[%l]"))

But this command once given is also applied to latex files; I then tried
writing the corresponding instruction in (add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook...
but then auctex has reverted to the latex behavior even for context files.

So apparently I cannot customize reftex within aa auctex mode? Or am I
just clumsy?

AUCTeX 11.85

TIA,
--
Jean

* Re: Customize reftex according to auctex mode
@ 2008-11-30 15:12 ` Kevin Rodgers
       [not found] ` <mailman.1549.1228057943.26697.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2008-11-30 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jean Magnan de Bornier wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have been trying to customize reftex-cite-format to be "\cite{%l}" when
> using LaTeX, and "\cite[%l]" when using ConTeXt.
>
> My first attempt was simply the last line here:
>
> (add-hook 'ConTeXt-mode-hook
> 	  (function
>  	   (lambda ()
>  	     (reftex-mode t)
>  	     (auto-fill-mode 1)
>  	     (LaTeX-math-mode 1)
>  	     ))
> (setq reftex-cite-format "\\cite[%l]"))
>
> But this command once given is also applied to latex files; I then tried
> writing the corresponding instruction in (add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook...
> but then auctex has reverted to the latex behavior even for context files.
>
> So apparently I cannot customize reftex within aa auctex mode? Or am I
> just clumsy?

A little clumsy, yes  :-)  First, you need to move the setq form inside
the hook function.  As it is, the setq form is being evaluated when
add-hook runs, providing its APPEND argument.

Second, you probably want to make reftex-cite-format's value local to
the Context mode buffers.  So:

(add-hook 'ConTeXt-mode-hook
	  (function
  	   (lambda ()
  	     (reftex-mode t)
  	     (auto-fill-mode 1)
  	     (LaTeX-math-mode 1)
	     (set (make-local-variable 'reftex-cite-format) "\\cite[%l]"))))

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA

@ 2008-11-30 15:48   ` Jean Magnan de Bornier
From: Jean Magnan de Bornier @ 2008-11-30 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Kevin Rodgers <kevin.d.rodgers@gmail.com> wrote :

| Jean Magnan de Bornier wrote:
| > Hi all, I have been trying to customize reftex-cite-format to be
| > "\cite{%l}" when
| > using LaTeX, and "\cite[%l]" when using ConTeXt.
| >
| > My first attempt was simply the last line here:
| >
| > (add-hook 'ConTeXt-mode-hook
| > 	  (function
| >  	   (lambda ()  	     (reftex-mode t)
| >  	     (auto-fill-mode 1)
| >  	     (LaTeX-math-mode 1)
| >  	     ))
| > (setq reftex-cite-format "\\cite[%l]"))
| >
| > But this command once given is also applied to latex files; I then tried
| > writing the corresponding instruction in (add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook...
| > but then auctex has reverted to the latex behavior even for context files.
| >
| > So apparently I cannot customize reftex within aa auctex mode? Or am I
| > just clumsy?
>
| A little clumsy, yes  :-)  First, you need to move the setq form inside
| the hook function.  As it is, the setq form is being evaluated when
| add-hook runs, providing its APPEND argument.
>
| Second, you probably want to make reftex-cite-format's value local to
| the Context mode buffers.  So:
>
| (add-hook 'ConTeXt-mode-hook
| 	  (function
|  	   (lambda ()
|  	     (reftex-mode t)
|  	     (auto-fill-mode 1)
|  	     (LaTeX-math-mode 1)
| 	     (set (make-local-variable 'reftex-cite-format) "\\cite[%l]"))))

Thank you so much Kevin, this works like a charm!
--
Jean