* problems with the daemon at log out
@ 2009-11-15 21:37 Peter Tury
From: Peter Tury @ 2009-11-15 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I start emacs --daemon when I log in and don't want to do any special
at log out. This works if I don't start emacsclient at all OR if I run
the command kill-emacs. However, I have problems in the most natural
case: when I started and closed some emacsclients before log out. In
such cases, at log out I get a question (from Gnome?): "A program is
still running Emacs is not responding". Why is this? How to avoid this
(by some Emacs config)?

I see that Emacs has 4 open files/sockets when --daemon is started
(1-1-1 (/dev/null) for stdin-stdout-stderr + 1 (/tmp/emacs1000/server)
for server listening I guess).
When I start the first emacsclient, other 3 files/sockets are opened.
When I close the emacsclient 5 (or more) files/sockets remain open.
After this (=after the first start+stop of an emacsclient) the number
of the opened files/sockets remain constant (after subsequent
emacsclient start+stops).
I guess the extra socket(s) left open after the first emacsclient start
+stop causes my problem. Am I right? How to avoid this?

Thanks,P

PS.
I use Ubuntu 9.10 + cvs emacs 23.1.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+
Version 2.18.3) of 2009-11-08.
I tried it without custom .emacs file, and found no differences in
this behaviour.

* Re: problems with the daemon at log out
@ 2011-02-07 14:14 ` Michal Sojka
From: Michal Sojka @ 2011-02-07 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Tury, help-gnu-emacs

On Sun, 15 Nov 2009, Peter Tury wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I start emacs --daemon when I log in and don't want to do any special
> at log out. This works if I don't start emacsclient at all OR if I run
> the command kill-emacs. However, I have problems in the most natural
> case: when I started and closed some emacsclients before log out. In
> such cases, at log out I get a question (from Gnome?): "A program is
> still running Emacs is not responding". Why is this? How to avoid this
> (by some Emacs config)?

Hi Peter,

I have found your message when searching for how to solve exactly the
same problem as you describe. Did you find any solution to it?

Thanks,
Michal