* emacs within ansi-term ( is it possible ?)
@ 2002-11-04 18:05 Mahesh Padmanabhan
From: Mahesh Padmanabhan @ 2002-11-04 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Problem:

I am trying to use emacs exclusively for all shell related
activities. For this, eshell works quite well. But, when I want to log
in as root from eshell to modify something as root, eshell kind of
washes its hands off. This is apparently a known problem and people
suggested using the visual-command variable in eshell so that whenever
I type in "su", it hands off control to ansi-term.

That works fine except when I have to edit something as root. If I
bring up emacs within ansi-term, all keystrokes (especially ^X ) seem
to be grabbed by the "enclosing" emacs. Is it possible to run emacs
within ansi-term which is within emacs or should I use jed or some
other editor within ansi-term (I would prefer not to do that) ?

TIA,

--
Mahesh Padmanabhan

-------

Replace nospam with prana to email me.

* Re: emacs within ansi-term ( is it possible ?)
@ 2002-11-04 18:18 ` Henrik Enberg
From: Henrik Enberg @ 2002-11-04 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mahesh Padmanabhan <news@nospam.eml.cc> writes:

> I am trying to use emacs exclusively for all shell related
> activities. For this, eshell works quite well. But, when I want to log
> in as root from eshell to modify something as root, eshell kind of
> washes its hands off. This is apparently a known problem and people
> suggested using the visual-command variable in eshell so that whenever
> I type in "su", it hands off control to ansi-term.
>
> That works fine except when I have to edit something as root. If I
> bring up emacs within ansi-term, all keystrokes (especially ^X ) seem
> to be grabbed by the "enclosing" emacs. Is it possible to run emacs
> within ansi-term which is within emacs or should I use jed or some
> other editor within ansi-term (I would prefer not to do that) ?

  The very best solution would be to get Kais tramp.el.  With tramp you
  can edit files in your normal Emacs via su or sudo (as well as remote
  files via ssh).

  <http://www.nongnu.org/tramp/>

--
Booting... /vmemacs.el

* Re: emacs within ansi-term ( is it possible ?)
@ 2002-11-04 18:21 ` Michael Slass
From: Michael Slass @ 2002-11-04 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mahesh Padmanabhan <news@nospam.eml.cc> writes:

>Problem:
>
>I am trying to use emacs exclusively for all shell related
>activities. For this, eshell works quite well. But, when I want to log
>in as root from eshell to modify something as root, eshell kind of
>washes its hands off. This is apparently a known problem and people
>suggested using the visual-command variable in eshell so that whenever
>I type in "su", it hands off control to ansi-term.
>
>That works fine except when I have to edit something as root. If I
>bring up emacs within ansi-term, all keystrokes (especially ^X ) seem
>to be grabbed by the "enclosing" emacs. Is it possible to run emacs
>within ansi-term which is within emacs or should I use jed or some
>other editor within ansi-term (I would prefer not to do that) ?
>
>TIA,

I don't know about the ansi-term problem, but you can use tramp.el to
edit files which the UID of the emacs process would not ordinarily
have privileges to do.

--
Mike Slass

* Re: emacs within ansi-term ( is it possible ?)
@ 2002-11-04 21:09   ` Mahesh Padmanabhan
From: Mahesh Padmanabhan @ 2002-11-04 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Henrik Enberg <henrik+news@enberg.org> writes:

>   The very best solution would be to get Kais tramp.el.  With tramp you
>   can edit files in your normal Emacs via su or sudo (as well as remote
>   files via ssh).
>
>   <http://www.nongnu.org/tramp/>

Thanks. I will look at Tramp.

--