* Ange-ftp
@ 2021-01-20  1:14 David Diem
From: David Diem @ 2021-01-20  1:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello, I have noticed that ange-ftp has become significantly slower for my webhoster. On another (unrelated) note, I would like to make it work with a non-/bin/ftp client (such as lftp), in order to make FTP+TLS work. Is anyone currently developping ange-ftp to handle FTP+TLS (my suspicion is, the slowness in my webhoster connection might come from some novelties in authentication/transport security, as well)? I do not know where to ask/look for help except this list - hope this is the right place. In case no-one is working on ange-ftp, if anyone wants to help me improve it, please write me or answer here. (Disclaimer: Power user, but novice Lisper). Best regards, David

--
David Diem
Room G115 - Department of Linguistics

* Re: Ange-ftp
@ 2021-01-20  8:52 ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2021-01-20  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Diem; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

"David Diem" <david.diem@uni-konstanz.de> writes:

> Hello,

Hi David,

> I have noticed that ange-ftp has become significantly slower
> for my webhoster. On another (unrelated) note, I would like to make it
> work with a non-/bin/ftp client (such as lftp), in order to make
> FTP+TLS work. Is anyone currently developping ange-ftp to handle
> FTP+TLS (my suspicion is, the slowness in my webhoster connection
> might come from some novelties in authentication/transport security,
> as well)?

I don't know whether somebody is working on this outside the main Emacs
development line. Occasionally, I apply fixes to ange-ftp, because it is
started these days via Tramp, and I'm the Tramp maintainer.

> I do not know where to ask/look for help except this list -
> hope this is the right place. In case no-one is working on ange-ftp,
> if anyone wants to help me improve it, please write me or answer
> here. (Disclaimer: Power user, but novice Lisper).

I don't plan to add new features to ange-ftp by myself. However, in case
you start this, I will happily help you if possible and if time permits.

> Best regards, David

Best regards, Michael.