* devanagari in emacs-22
@ 2006-08-11 12:27 harry meyers
       [not found] ` <mailman.5089.1155320713.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: harry meyers @ 2006-08-11 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I installed gnu intlfonts-1.2.1 to /usr/local/share/emacs/fonts. Then
as indicated in the README file  put the directory to the font path,
updated the font hash table with 'xset fp rehash'. But when I now open
the hello file still no hindi characters are displayed.
Mmh, what am I missing?

harry

* Re: devanagari in emacs-22
@ 2006-08-11 17:52 ` Alok G. Singh
       [not found] ` <mailman.5089.1155320713.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Alok G. Singh @ 2006-08-11 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/SupportHindi

--
Alok

Oh, well, I guess this is just going to be one of those lifetimes.

* Re: devanagari in emacs-22
       [not found] ` <mailman.5089.1155320713.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-08-11 20:50   ` harry meyers
       [not found]     ` <mailman.5101.1155364876.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: harry meyers @ 2006-08-11 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alok G. Singh schrieb:

> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/SupportHindi

Thanks. Followed the instructions precisely but strange, all languages
work but not the indian ones like hindi, tamil or malayam.

harry

* Re: devanagari in emacs-22
@ 2006-08-12  6:40     ` Alok G. Singh
       [not found]     ` <mailman.5101.1155364876.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Alok G. Singh @ 2006-08-12  6:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12 Aug 2006, late@literaturlatenight.de wrote:

> Alok G. Singh schrieb:
>
>> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/SupportHindi

> Thanks. Followed the instructions precisely but strange, all
> languages work but not the indian ones like hindi, tamil or malayam.

What do you mean don't work ? Did you use the quail method or a
fontset. If you are using a fontset, try holding S-mouse-1 and
explicitly selecting the fontset. You can try it with C-h h to verify.

--
Alok

You can bring any calculator you like to the midterm, as long as it
doesn't dim the lights when you turn it on.
		-- Hepler, Systems Design 182

* Re: devanagari in emacs-22
       [not found]     ` <mailman.5101.1155364876.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-08-13 10:40       ` harry meyers
From: harry meyers @ 2006-08-13 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alok G. Singh schrieb:

> What do you mean don't work ? Did you use the quail method or a
> fontset. If you are using a fontset, try holding S-mouse-1 and
> explicitly selecting the fontset. You can try it with C-h h to verify.

devanagari fonts won't appear. I did the following:
- install both emacs-intlf-fonts and intlfonts
- made both directories known with:

(add-to-list 'bdf-directory-list "/usr/share/emacs/fonts/bdf")
(add-to-list 'bdf-directory-list
"/usr/share/local/emacs/fonts/bdf")

- xset +fp /usr/.... (the first of the above mentioned directories is
not loaded, instead I get this error message: "xset:  bad font path
element (#76), possible causes are:
    Directory does not exist or has wrong permissions
    Directory missing fonts.dir
    Incorrect font server address or syntax"
Don't know why, I installed it per aptitude)
But one of the fonts packages should suffice anyhow.

Now in my hello file I can see some more fonts like Cantonese but no
Indian fonts.

cdacfonts I could not get, because the page is under reconstruction

harry

* Re: devanagari in emacs-22
@ 2006-08-14 10:20         ` harry meyers
       [not found]           ` <mailman.5170.1155554511.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: harry meyers @ 2006-08-14 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Okay....

In article <44DC7CBB.10901@stud...>, Lennart Borgman
<lennart.borgman.073@stud...> writes:

>> I installed gnu intlfonts-1.2.1 to /usr/local/share/emacs/fonts. Then
>> as indicated in the README file  put the directory to the font path,
>> updated the font hash table with 'xset fp rehash'. But when I now open
>> the hello file still no hindi characters are displayed.
>> Mmh, what am I missing?

>Unfortunately intlfonts-1.2.1 doesn't contain Indic fonts.
>The current Emacs contains an Indic scripts renderers that
>use Indic fonts of ISFOC-encoding, but as there are only
>proprietary CDAC fonts supporting that encoding.  Although
>CDAC fonts are available for no-change, they are not free
>and the negotiation between FSF and CDAC for making them
>free didn't go well.  So we don't include them in intlfonts.

>We are now working hard to support OpenType Indic fonts in
>Emacs in emacs-unicode-2 branch, but the work is not yet
>finished.
>
>---
>Kenichi Handa
>handa@m17n...

* Re: devanagari in emacs-22
@ 2006-08-14 11:21           ` Alok G. Singh
       [not found]           ` <mailman.5170.1155554511.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Alok G. Singh @ 2006-08-14 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 14 Aug 2006, late@literaturlatenight.de wrote:

> Okay....

You can get the CDAC fonts from
http://hcoop.net/~alephnull/cdacfonts.tar.gz if you want.

They are only free as in beer, as pointed out.

--
Alok

- DDD no longer requires the librx library.  Consequently, librx
  errors can no more cause DDD to crash.
		-- DDD

* Re: devanagari in emacs-22
       [not found]           ` <mailman.5170.1155554511.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-08-14 12:18             ` harry meyers
From: harry meyers @ 2006-08-14 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alok G. Singh schrieb:

> On 14 Aug 2006, late@literaturlatenight.de wrote:
>
> > Okay....
>
> You can get the CDAC fonts from
> http://hcoop.net/~alephnull/cdacfonts.tar.gz if you want.
>
> They are only free as in beer, as pointed out.

Thanks a lot :)
That's fine

harry