* Using remote services (telnet,ssh) in Emacs 22
@ 2007-08-29  7:51 Will
From: Will @ 2007-08-29  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I'd like to use Emacs 22.1 with Windows XP to to work remotely with some
servers via telnet, ssh etc. I've also installed telnet and openssh
contained in cygwin. I am using the telnet.el library and some extension
from http://www.khngai.com/emacs/cygwin.php.

However, I get the following error messages after entering M-x telnet
RET <server>:
"Process telnet-<server> exited abnormally with code 255"

I have no problems accessing the server via telnet in the Cygwin shell
without Emacs.

Who can help?

Thanks in advance,

Will

* Re: Using remote services (telnet,ssh) in Emacs 22
@ 2007-08-29  9:07 ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2007-08-29  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Will <schimpanski@gmx.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to use Emacs 22.1 with Windows XP to to work remotely with some
> servers via telnet, ssh etc. I've also installed telnet and openssh
> contained in cygwin. I am using the telnet.el library and some extension
> from http://www.khngai.com/emacs/cygwin.php.
>
> However, I get the following error messages after entering M-x telnet RET
> <server>:
> "Process telnet-<server> exited abnormally with code 255"
>
> I have no problems accessing the server via telnet in the Cygwin shell
> without Emacs.
>
> Who can help?

What are the values of

telnet-host-properties
telnet-program
What is in the communication buffer described in the telnet command
docstring?

Finally, if all you want to do is edit files remotely, then I'd recommend
using tramp, which is bundled with emacs 22.

Tim
--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au