* frame changes sizes in Emacs 23 (emacs-snapshot)
@ 2007-09-24 18:02 Sebastian P. Luque
From: Sebastian P. Luque @ 2007-09-24 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I sent this to the gnus ng, but since it also happens when changing
buffers that use slightly different fonts, I'm sending it here too.  Using
the emacs-snapshot package (emacs 23 for Debian: GNU Emacs 23.0.50.1
(x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.12.0) of 2007-09-22 on elegiac,
modified by Debian), which now uses GTK exclusively, I see that the main
frame size gets reduced every time I get into and out of a ng with Gnus
(No Gnus v0.6). Has anyone noticed this and have any suggestion on a fix
for it? Thanks.

Cheers,

--
Seb

* Re: frame changes sizes in Emacs 23 (emacs-snapshot)
@ 2007-09-24 20:56 ` Sebastian P. Luque
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1246.1190670731.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Sebastian P. Luque @ 2007-09-24 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 13:02:28 -0500,
"Sebastian P. Luque" <spluque@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, I sent this to the gnus ng, but since it also happens when changing
> buffers that use slightly different fonts, I'm sending it here too.
> Using the emacs-snapshot package (emacs 23 for Debian: GNU Emacs
> 23.0.50.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.12.0) of 2007-09-22 on
> elegiac, modified by Debian), which now uses GTK exclusively, I see that
> the main frame size gets reduced every time I get into and out of a ng
> with Gnus (No Gnus v0.6). Has anyone noticed this and have any
> suggestion on a fix for it? Thanks.

I solved the problem by setting tool-bar-mode to t (via customize or
tool-bar-mode fun), to standardize it to the same value in all buffers.
In Gnus it was nil, while in other buffers it was t, so switching between
them caused inconsistent resizing of the frame.  Does this qualify as a
bug nonetheless?

--

@ 2007-09-24 21:52   ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1246.1190670731.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-09-24 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian P. Luque; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 24.09.2007 um 22:56 schrieb Sebastian P. Luque:

> Does this qualify as a bug nonetheless?

Definitely not. The tool-bar is kind of a decoration and is not
counted among the lines times columns size of the frame. And so are
the fringes. Or scroll-bars.

--
Greetings

   Pete

People say that  if you play Microsoft CD's  backwards, you hear satanic
things,  but that's  nothing, because  if you  play them  forwards, they
install Windows.

* RE: frame changes sizes in Emacs 23 (emacs-snapshot)
@ 2007-09-24 21:59     ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2007-09-24 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Dyballa, Sebastian P. Luque; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> > Does this qualify as a bug nonetheless?
>
> Definitely not. The tool-bar is kind of a decoration and is not
> counted among the lines times columns size of the frame. And so are
> the fringes. Or scroll-bars.

I think that is not quite correct. It seems that in Emacs 22
`set-frame-size' includes the tool-bar.

@ 2007-09-24 22:11     ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2007-09-24 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Am 24.09.2007 um 22:56 schrieb Sebastian P. Luque:
>
>> Does this qualify as a bug nonetheless?
>
> Definitely not. The tool-bar is kind of a decoration and is not
> counted among the lines times columns size of the frame. And so are
> the fringes. Or scroll-bars.

But it should count as a bug that switching it on and off again is not
a noop with regard to window size.

* Re: frame changes sizes in Emacs 23 (emacs-snapshot)
@ 2007-09-24 22:26       ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-09-24 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: Sebastian P. Luque, help-gnu-emacs

Am 24.09.2007 um 23:59 schrieb Drew Adams:

>>> Does this qualify as a bug nonetheless?
>>
>> Definitely not. The tool-bar is kind of a decoration and is not
>> counted among the lines times columns size of the frame. And so are
>> the fringes. Or scroll-bars.
>
> I think that is not quite correct. It seems that in Emacs 22
> `set-frame-size' includes the tool-bar.

Sorry! You're right: GNU Emacsen 22.1.50, 23.0.50, and 23.0.0
subtract the tool-bar area from the area in(side) the frame. And it
plays no role whether GNU Emacs starts with (tool-bar-mode 1) in the
init file or as a function call on the command line. The dimensions
of the X clients windows are steadily the same. So Sebastian's
observation starts to look like a bug ...

--
Greetings

   Pete       (: