From: Lele Gaifax <lele@metapensiero.it>
To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Problem starting up ERC session with GNU/Emacs 30
Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2022 16:31:46 +0100	[thread overview]

Hi everybody,

today I tried to update to current master (48db8b68a8) of GNU/Emacs, and
everything seems working with the exception of the ERC session: although
the connection is established, I receive the following error, multiple
times:

  error in process filter: erc-get-buffer-create: Wrong type argument: erc-networks--id, nil
  error in process filter: Wrong type argument: erc-networks--id, nil

and the "channel" buffers are not present.

I connect to Libera.Chat thru a ZNC bouncer with this snippet

  (require 'erc)

  (defun esk/erc-generate-log-file-name-brief (buffer target nick server port)
    "Computes a log file name from the TARGET and SERVER only.
  This results in a filename of the form #channel@server.txt."
    (let ((file (concat target "@" server ".txt")))
      (convert-standard-filename file)))

  (setq erc-log-insert-log-on-open nil)
  (setq erc-log-channels t)
  (setq erc-log-channels-directory "~/irclogs/")
  (setq erc-generate-log-file-name-function #'esk/erc-generate-log-file-name-brief)
  (setq erc-log-write-after-send t)
  (setq erc-log-write-after-insert t)
  (setq erc-save-buffer-on-part nil)
  (setq erc-hide-timestamps nil)
  (setq erc-auto-set-away nil)
  (setq erc-autoaway-mode nil)
  (setq erc-modules
        (quote (autojoin button completion fill hl-nicks
                irccontrols log match move-to-prompt
                netsplit noncommands notifications
                readonly ring smiley stamp track)))

  (let ((host (netrc-machine (netrc-parse "~/.netrc") "my.znc.server" t)))
    (if host
        (let ((password (netrc-get host "password")))
          (esk/csetq erc-email-userid (netrc-get host "login"))
          (erc :server "my.znc.server"
               :port 7777
               :nick "lelit"
               :password password
               :full-name (user-full-name)))
      (message "... credentials not found in ~/.netrc!")))

As said, even if I receive a deprecation notice about netrc-parse (I
will try to replace that with auth-source-netrc-parse as time permit),
the connection is established and the "my.znc.server:7777" buffer
contains the welcome message.

Any hint on what I should rectify in my configuration?

Thanks in advance and happy xmas,
ciao, lele.
lele@metapensiero.it  |                 -- Fortunato Depero, 1929.