* What alternatives are there to learn Emacs?...
@ 2008-05-12  0:47 Don Saklad
From: Don Saklad @ 2008-05-12  0:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs, dsaklad

What alternatives to the usual manuals are there to learn Emacs?...
especially for new learners who have difficulties with the
deficiencies in the usual manual texts and jargon.

Not all potential new users see themselves as a part of our community!

* RE: What alternatives are there to learn Emacs?...
@ 2008-05-12  1:14 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2008-05-12  1:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Don Saklad', help-gnu-emacs

> What alternatives to the usual manuals are there to learn Emacs?...
> especially for new learners who have difficulties with the
> deficiencies in the usual manual texts and jargon.
>
> Not all potential new users see themselves as a part of our community!

Not sure what you're counting as the traditional manuals, but here are some
learning resources:

* the onboard Emacs tutorial (learn by doing): C-h t
* the onboard Emacs manual: C-h r
* the EmacsWiki Web site:
  http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/SiteMap

  One of the first sections on the main EmacsWiki page is
  a set of links to pages for Learning About Emacs. These
  are some of those learning links:

 1. http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/EmacsNewbie
 2. http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs-en?CategoryDocumentation
 3. http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs-en?CategoryHelp
 4. http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs-en?CategoryGlossary

#1 is the place to start.
#2 answers your question more generally, mentions books, tutorials...
#3 is Emacs information of various kinds
#4 explains Emacs jargon

Others will no doubt chime in with more help. This mailing list is a good place
to ask questions, as is the Emacs wiki.

* Re: What alternatives are there to learn Emacs?...
@ 2008-05-12 13:17 ` Sven Bretfeld
From: Sven Bretfeld @ 2008-05-12 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Don Saklad <dsaklad@gnu.org> writes:

> What alternatives to the usual manuals are there to learn Emacs?...
> especially for new learners who have difficulties with the
> deficiencies in the usual manual texts and jargon.

There are some good books I learned very much from:

- Jesper Pedersen, Teach Yourself Emacs in 24 Hours (Sams).

- Debra Cameron et al., Learning GNU Emacs (O'Reilly).

I think it's good to have both.

Greetings

Sven

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 188 bytes --]

* Re: What alternatives are there to learn Emacs?...
       [not found] <mailman.11479.1210553320.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-05-12 14:17 ` Mike Treseler
       [not found]   ` <mailman.11528.1210624366.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Mike Treseler @ 2008-05-12 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Don Saklad wrote:
> What alternatives to the usual manuals are there to learn Emacs?...
> especially for new learners who have difficulties with the
> deficiencies in the usual manual texts and jargon.
>
> Not all potential new users see themselves as a part of our community!

I started by using the menus.

      -- Mike Treseler

* RE: What alternatives are there to learn Emacs?...
@ 2008-05-12 20:31   ` Drew Adams
       [not found]   ` <mailman.11528.1210624366.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Drew Adams @ 2008-05-12 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Mike Treseler', help-gnu-emacs

> I started by using the menus.

Good suggestion - forgot that one. Menu organization is a great way to discover
features - things that belong together are typically grouped together.

BTW, Icicles can help you to learn Emacs, in several ways.
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/EmacsNewbieWithIcicles

One way is by letting you match menu substrings. That can help you find things
in the menu hierarchy and discover what the hierarchy looks like.
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/IciclesMenu

@ 2008-06-10 16:51     ` David Combs
From: David Combs @ 2008-06-10 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

How about the rms-written tutorial:

  C-h t

David

@ 2008-06-10 21:43 ` Xah
From: Xah @ 2008-06-10 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On May 11, 5:47 pm, Don Saklad <dsak...@gnu.org> wrote:
> What alternatives to the usual manuals are there to learn Emacs?...
> especially for new learners who have difficulties with the
> deficiencies in the usual manual texts and jargon.
>
> Not all potential new users see themselves as a part of our community!

you might try my tutorial.
http://xahlee.org/emacs/emacs.html

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread