* elisp again
@ 2003-05-02  7:50 upro
From: upro @ 2003-05-02  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Again elisp, but this time completely different:

What's a good point to start learning elisp?

Thanks!
--
Michael

r-znvy: zvpunry.wryqra  jro.qr (chg gur "@" jurer vg svgf...)
ab fcnz cyrnfr

* Re: elisp again
@ 2003-05-02  8:14 ` Jonas Steverud
From: Jonas Steverud @ 2003-05-02  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

upro <upro@gmx.net> writes:

> What's a good point to start learning elisp?

In no particular order:

* C-h i d m elisp   if you do not have that info library, fetch it
  from gnu.org, you are going to need it sooner or later anyway. It's
  a good referene to elisp, but maybe not as good as a tutorial.

* C-h f <a function of your choice> and C-h v <a variable of your choice.>

* Others .emacs and code downloaded from the 'net.

* Books in the library. (I'm a bit old-fashioned, I prefer books over
  websites and interactive courses.)

--
(         http://hem.bredband.net/steverud        !     Wei Wu Wei     )
(        Meaning of U2 Lyrics, Roleplaying        !  To Do Without Do  )

* Re: elisp again
@ 2003-05-02  8:34 ` Lute Kamstra
From: Lute Kamstra @ 2003-05-02  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

upro <upro@gmx.net> writes:

> What's a good point to start learning elisp?

An Introduction to Programming in Emacs Lisp by Robert J. Chassell is
a very good starting point.  Get it online:

http://www.gnu.org/manual/emacs-lisp-intro/

or order it:

http://www.gnu.org/doc/book4.html

Lute.

--
(spook) => "broadside Bletchley Park North Korea"
(insert-file-contents "~/.signature") => (error "`~/.signature' too rude")

* Re: elisp again
@ 2003-05-02  9:18   ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2003-05-02  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, May 02 2003, Jonas Steverud wrote:

> upro <upro@gmx.net> writes:
>> What's a good point to start learning elisp?
[...]
> * C-h i d m elisp   if you do not have that info library, fetch it
>   from gnu.org, you are going to need it sooner or later anyway. It's
>   a good referene to elisp, but maybe not as good as a tutorial.

The "Emacs Lisp Intro" is a nice tutorial, IMHO:
(info "(emacs-lisp-intro)Top")

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: elisp again
@ 2003-05-02 15:26 ` Zap Branigan
From: Zap Branigan @ 2003-05-02 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

    upro> Again elisp, but this time completely different: What's a
    upro> good point to start learning elisp?

Maybe I understand your question differently than others who have
posted to this thread.  The best point in time to begin learning emacs
lisp is when you begin to customize your .emacs file.

Consider teaching elisp to your kids as soon as they can type.

--
Consider yon black dog, ranging thru stubble and shoot,
Meseems he coileth magic meshes

* Re: elisp again
@ 2003-05-02 22:20   ` upro
From: upro @ 2003-05-02 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Zap Branigan <zbranigan@volcanomail.com> writes:

>     upro> Again elisp, but this time completely different: What's a
>     upro> good point to start learning elisp?
>
> Maybe I understand your question differently than others who have
> posted to this thread.  The best point in time to begin learning emacs
> lisp is when you begin to customize your .emacs file.
>
> Consider teaching elisp to your kids as soon as they can type.

Well, thanks for this one....! May .emacs is quite large, and working
well. But working on it doesn't tech me how to write, e.g.,
tetris.el...

I think some of the links the others gave me are very useful. Thanks!