* Gnus not showing all mails
@ 2015-07-03  8:19 henry atting
       [not found] ` <mailman.6238.1435930821.904.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: henry atting @ 2015-07-03  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

All of a sudden gnus (Ma Gnus v0.12) only shows a part of the mails lying
on the imap server. Currently there are 8, mutt displays them all; gnus
only shows 5. Restarting, reloading, `/o`... nothing helps, I only get 5
mails. When I send me a test mail the new mail is displayed
nevertheless.

Don't know how to further investigate this problem.

Cheers
henry

* Re: Gnus not showing all mails
@ 2015-07-03 13:39 ` Eric Abrahamsen
       [not found] ` <mailman.6238.1435930821.904.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2015-07-03 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

henry atting <atts.henry@gmail.com> writes:

> All of a sudden gnus (Ma Gnus v0.12) only shows a part of the mails lying
> on the imap server. Currently there are 8, mutt displays them all; gnus
> only shows 5. Restarting, reloading, `/o`... nothing helps, I only get 5
> mails. When I send me a test mail the new mail is displayed
> nevertheless.
>
> Don't know how to further investigate this problem.

Sometimes what works is going into the group parameters ("G p" on the
group), deleting the "active" line, C-c C-c to exit, then go back to the
group line and press "M-g" to refresh that particular group. I find that
if I'm using multiple clients (Gnus or not) on an imap server, Gnus
doesn't automatically refresh read message marks from the server, and
these steps are necessary to make it do that. Give it a try, and let us
know?

Eric

@ 2015-07-03 20:34   ` henry atting
From: henry atting @ 2015-07-03 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> henry atting <atts.henry@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> All of a sudden gnus (Ma Gnus v0.12) only shows a part of the mails lying
>> on the imap server. Currently there are 8, mutt displays them all; gnus
>> only shows 5. Restarting, reloading, `/o`... nothing helps, I only get 5
>> mails. When I send me a test mail the new mail is displayed
>> nevertheless.
>>
>> Don't know how to further investigate this problem.
>
> Sometimes what works is going into the group parameters ("G p" on the
> group), deleting the "active" line, C-c C-c to exit, then go back to the
> group line and press "M-g" to refresh that particular group. I find that
> if I'm using multiple clients (Gnus or not) on an imap server, Gnus
> doesn't automatically refresh read message marks from the server, and
> these steps are necessary to make it do that. Give it a try, and let us
> know?

Great! – Yes, it works. All the messages are there. Strange, I am using
gnus for 10 years know, mostly in combination with mutt, but never had
this kind of problem. But on the other hand there is always a first
time...

Thanks

@ 2015-07-03 22:01     ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2015-07-03 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

henry atting <atts.henry@gmail.com> writes:

>> henry atting <atts.henry@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> All of a sudden gnus (Ma Gnus v0.12) only shows a part of the mails lying
>>> on the imap server. Currently there are 8, mutt displays them all; gnus
>>> only shows 5. Restarting, reloading, `/o`... nothing helps, I only get 5
>>> mails. When I send me a test mail the new mail is displayed
>>> nevertheless.
>>>
>>> Don't know how to further investigate this problem.
>>
>> Sometimes what works is going into the group parameters ("G p" on the
>> group), deleting the "active" line, C-c C-c to exit, then go back to the
>> group line and press "M-g" to refresh that particular group. I find that
>> if I'm using multiple clients (Gnus or not) on an imap server, Gnus
>> doesn't automatically refresh read message marks from the server, and
>> these steps are necessary to make it do that. Give it a try, and let us
>> know?
>

> Great! – Yes, it works. All the messages are there. Strange, I am using
> gnus for 10 years know, mostly in combination with mutt, but never had
> this kind of problem. But on the other hand there is always a first
> time...

I've only seen it when read marks are changed behind Gnus' back, from
another client. I opened this bug report a while ago, and at some point
will find some time to try out some solutions...