* .emacs file missing with emacsW32 (?)
@ 2007-09-02 16:23 Quin Wills
From: Quin Wills @ 2007-09-02 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I've been using Emacs and XEmacs on and off for a few years now - mostly
to run R (with ESS) and LaTeX - on both Windows XP and Ubuntu.

I installed the latest emacsW32 onto my Windows XP machine and am
confused. I need to edit my .emacs file to allow ESS to run but can't
find my .emacs file (yes, I can see hidden files and  have searched for
_emacs too). In emacs when I search the HOME directory it takes me to
"C:\Documents and Settings\Quin\Application Data" which has a
".emacs.d" directory but no sight of my init file. Previously my .emacs
file was just in "C:\"

Had a look about for help and in the FAQs but am not spotting anything
useful. Where is my .emacs file? Yikes, sorry to be so dumb. Thanks in
advance.

**

* Re: .emacs file missing with emacsW32 (?)
@ 2007-09-02 20:35 ` Eric Hanchrow
       [not found] ` <46DB1D6A.8090104@gmail.com>
From: Eric Hanchrow @ 2007-09-02 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

    Quin> Had a look about for help and in the FAQs but am not
    Quin> spotting anything useful.  Where is my .emacs file?  Yikes,
    Quin> sorry to be so dumb.  Thanks in advance.

I think the default location has changed in Emacs 22.

Read (info "(emacs)Windows HOME"); the executive summary is: type C-x
C-f ~/.emacs RET, and that will show you the location that Emacs
expects.  If that file doesn't exist, populate it.

--
Keaton, Chaplin, Garbo - let them now make room for Gromit.
        A. O. Scott, in The New York Times

* Re: .emacs file missing with emacsW32 (?)
       [not found] <mailman.183.1188764176.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-09-02 20:41 ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2007-09-02 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Quin Wills <quin.wills@googlemail.com> writes:

> I've been using Emacs and XEmacs on and off for a few years now -
> mostly to run R (with ESS) and LaTeX - on both Windows XP and Ubuntu.
>
> I installed the latest emacsW32 onto my Windows XP machine and am
> confused. I need to edit my .emacs file to allow ESS to run but can't
> find my .emacs file (yes, I can see hidden files and  have searched
> for _emacs too). In emacs when I search the HOME directory it takes me
> to "C:\Documents and Settings\Quin\Application Data" which has a
> ".emacs.d" directory but no sight of my init file. Previously my
> .emacs file was just in "C:\"
>
> Had a look about for help and in the FAQs but am not spotting anything
> useful. Where is my .emacs file? Yikes, sorry to be so dumb. Thanks in
> advance.

You have to create it.  Try
C-x C-f ~/.emacs RET

* Re: .emacs file missing with emacsW32 (?)
@ 2007-09-02 20:46 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <46DB1D6A.8090104@gmail.com>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-09-02 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Quin Wills; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 02.09.2007 um 18:23 schrieb Quin Wills:

> Where is my .emacs file?

You can use or set the variable user-emacs-file to make GNU Emacs
find it.

--
Greetings
                                  <]

@ 2007-09-02 21:45   ` Quin Wills
From: Quin Wills @ 2007-09-02 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman (gmail), help-gnu-emacs

Thanks, but I'm still stuck.

I'm assuming you mean that I should then be creating my own .emacs file.
I've done the following. I've created the following "~/.emacs", saying
the following:

load "C:/Program Files/Emacs/site-lisp/ess-5.3.5/lisp/ess-site"

And using:  control panel > system > advanced > environment variables

added "C:\Program Files\R\R-2.4.1" to both "user variables for Quin" and
"system variables" to point the way to R, as I understand from:

http://ess.r-project.org/Manual/ess.html#Microsoft-Windows-installation

And nothing. Oi.

--

* *

* *

*Quin Wills*
I like people who shake other people up and make them feel uncomfortable
- Jim Morrison

* *

*Brasenose** College***

*Oxford***

*OX1 4AJ*

*07951 335 714*

* Re: .emacs file missing with emacsW32 (?)
@ 2007-09-03  3:06     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-09-03  3:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2007 22:45:41 +0100
> From: Quin Wills <quin.wills@googlemail.com>
>
> I'm assuming you mean that I should then be creating my own .emacs file.
> I've done the following. I've created the following "~/.emacs", saying
> the following:
>
> load "C:/Program Files/Emacs/site-lisp/ess-5.3.5/lisp/ess-site"

Is this in your .emacs file?  If so, it should be

 (load "C:/Program Files/Emacs/site-lisp/ess-5.3.5/lisp/ess-site")

in parenthesis.  And you should restart Emacs after that.

> And using:  control panel > system > advanced > environment variables
>
> added "C:\Program Files\R\R-2.4.1" to both "user variables for Quin" and
> "system variables" to point the way to R

It's enough to add this only to either "user variables for Quin" or to
"system variables".  I assume that you added this to the value of
Path, right?

And you need to restart Emacs after the change to environment
variables as well.

> And nothing. Oi.

Well, nothing will happen unless you invoke R.  How did you do that,
after making all those changes?