* emacs -nw, screen and 256 colors
@ 2004-04-26 19:11 David Hansen
       [not found] ` <mailman.1767.1083008976.1061.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: David Hansen @ 2004-04-26 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I'm using (emacs-version)

"GNU Emacs 21.3.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit)
 of 2004-04-26 on robotron"

and would like to use it with GNU screen and 256 colors.
In a xterm without screen emacs can use 256 colors (shown
by `list-colors-display') but when running in screen emacs
shows only 8 colors (even the bold variants color8-color15
doesn't seem to work).

After changing everything in screeninfo.src to
colors#256, pairs#256 the example applications from the
xterm sources display all 256 colors.  Not sure if it's an
emacs or screen problem.

I had a look in the emacs sources but...  actually i don't
understand a single line of term.c ;)

The following c code shows 256 colors and 256 pairs with and
without screen:

/* -*- compile-command: "gcc colors.c -o colors -lncurses" -*- */
#include <ncurses.h>
#include <termcap.h>

int
main(void)
{
        initscr(); start_color();
        printw("# colors: %d\t# pairs: %d\n", COLORS, COLOR_PAIRS);
        printw("# colors: %d\t# pairs: %d\n",
               tgetnum("Co"), tgetnum("pa"));
        refresh(); getch(); endwin();
        return 0;
}

I'm using screen 4.0.2 of course with compiled 256 colors
support.

Did anyone got it to work?

-- David

* Re: emacs -nw, screen and 256 colors
@ 2004-04-26 19:43 ` Josh Howard
       [not found] ` <mailman.1767.1083008976.1061.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Josh Howard @ 2004-04-26 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Hansen <usenetjunk.nospam@gmx.net> writes:

> and would like to use it with GNU screen and 256 colors.
> In a xterm without screen emacs can use 256 colors (shown
> by `list-colors-display') but when running in screen emacs
> shows only 8 colors (even the bold variants color8-color15
> doesn't seem to work).

It seems like there was a patch in a somewhat recent version of
screen which helped with 256 color support. Using screen 4.00.01 and
doing an export TERM=xterm-256color in the screen, to semi-override
the 'screen' termcap entry, I'm able to see all 256 colors without
needing to do anything else.

--
Josh Howard <jrh@zeppelin.net>

@ 2004-04-28  9:05   ` David Hansen
From: David Hansen @ 2004-04-28  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 12:43:41 -0700 Josh Howard wrote:

> David Hansen <usenetjunk.nospam@gmx.net> writes:
>
>> and would like to use it with GNU screen and 256 colors.
>> In a xterm without screen emacs can use 256 colors (shown
>> by `list-colors-display') but when running in screen emacs
>> shows only 8 colors (even the bold variants color8-color15
>> doesn't seem to work).
>
> It seems like there was a patch in a somewhat recent version of
> screen which helped with 256 color support. Using screen 4.00.01 and
> doing an export TERM=xterm-256color in the screen, to semi-override
> the 'screen' termcap entry, I'm able to see all 256 colors without
> needing to do anything else.

TERM=xterm-256color looks nice.  Bold is still screwed but
there are enough colors now for highlighting :)

@ 2004-04-28 16:27     ` Josh Howard
From: Josh Howard @ 2004-04-28 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Hansen <usenetjunk.nospam@gmx.net> writes:

> TERM=xterm-256color looks nice.  Bold is still screwed but
> there are enough colors now for highlighting :)

I notice that I never see bold either. I never really bothered to
look any deeper into the issue, but it would be nice to have bold
back.

--
Josh Howard <jrh@zeppelin.net>