* cvs 22.0.50 + auctex
@ 2006-02-21  5:48 B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2006-02-21  5:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have downloaded and installed this version on MS w98 and I find that
many problems with 21.3 have been addressed (copy paste of non 8859-1
characters now works, ucs-insert works, etc.). So far I have only 3
questions:

1) in the news file it says:

"+++
*** C-h v and C-h f commands now include a hyperlink to the C source for
variables and functions defined in C (if the C source is available)."

I have setq'd and evaluated 'source-directory to the place where I put the
c sources but when I click on a file, I get the message that the sources
are not available. ???

2) I can't raise the w32 file input dialog box even though
        use-dialog-box
        use-file-dialog
are both set to t (on). Is this a bug? Font dialog box comes up but won't
change the font and although save options doesn't suppress the toolbar, it
can be gotten rid of by setting tool-bar-mode to nil in .emacs

3) Why can't calendar force use of a fixed font just for that buffer so
that the alignment is maintained in the 3 month calendar display?

iiii) I just found that at times, after a C-h f or C-h v, that the
completion buffer won't accept a mouse-1 or mouse-2 click over a mouse
sensitive item, but only dings, reports read-only, and dissappears.
Quitting emacs and then restarting restored normal behavior.
Thanks,
Ed

* Re: cvs 22.0.50 + auctex
@ 2006-02-21 10:30 ` Peter Dyballa
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-02-21 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 21.02.2006 um 05:48 schrieb B. T. Raven:

> I have setq'd and evaluated 'source-directory to the place where I
> put the
> c sources but when I click on a file, I get the message that the
> sources
> are not available. ???

Maybe you shouldn't do that 'localising customisation' ... For me it
works leaving the C and Elisp sources 'there' and having the
installation 'here.' I can look into the C source file and can try to
understand the C code.

> 3) Why can't calendar force use of a fixed font just for that
> buffer so
> that the alignment is maintained in the 3 month calendar display?

You can either give GNU Emacs a default monospaced font and only make
text buffers use proportional fonts. Or you can make calendar use
particular faces of typewriter like fonts ...

There is a version of GNU Emacs for use in Mac OS X, Aquamacs Emacs.
It, too, uses proportional fonts. Some buffer modes are excluded. Its
sources are here around: http://aquamacs.org/

> iiii) I just found that at times, after a C-h f or C-h v, that the
> completion buffer won't accept a mouse-1 or mouse-2 click over a mouse
> sensitive item, but only dings, reports read-only, and dissappears.
> Quitting emacs and then restarting restored normal behavior.

Have you seen the item 'Send Bug Report...' in the Help menu? You
should use it as often as possible. We, here on this Emacs help list,
can't fix bugs. That's the other recipients' jobs.

--
Greetings

   Pete

The mathematician who pursues his studies without clear views of this
matter, must often have the uncomfortable feeling that his paper and
pencil surpass him in intelligence. (Ernst Mach)

* Re: cvs 22.0.50 + auctex
@ 2006-02-21 16:26 ` Stefan Monnier
       [not found] ` <mailman.1113.1140552794.2856.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2006-02-21 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

> 1) in the news file it says:

> "+++
> *** C-h v and C-h f commands now include a hyperlink to the C source for
> variables and functions defined in C (if the C source is available)."

> I have setq'd and evaluated 'source-directory to the place where I put the
> c sources but when I click on a file, I get the message that the sources
> are not available. ???

Show us the actual code you used to "setq and evaluate" (whatever that
means).  Also set "Options -> Enter Debugger on Error" and show us the
backtrace you get when trigerring the error.

> iiii) I just found that at times, after a C-h f or C-h v, that the
> completion buffer won't accept a mouse-1 or mouse-2 click over a mouse
> sensitive item, but only dings, reports read-only, and dissappears.
> Quitting emacs and then restarting restored normal behavior.

M-x report-emacs-bug

* Re: cvs 22.0.50 + auctex
@ 2006-02-21 20:12 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.1113.1140552794.2856.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-02-21 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: "B. T. Raven" <ecinmn@peoplepc.com>
> Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 05:48:06 GMT
>
> I have downloaded and installed this version on MS w98 and I find that
> many problems with 21.3 have been addressed (copy paste of non 8859-1
> characters now works, ucs-insert works, etc.). So far I have only 3
> questions:

This is not a good place to report problems and ask questions about
the CVS code.  Please write to emacs-devel@gnu.org instead.

> *** C-h v and C-h f commands now include a hyperlink to the C source for
> variables and functions defined in C (if the C source is available)."
>
> I have setq'd and evaluated 'source-directory to the place where I put the
> c sources but when I click on a file, I get the message that the sources
> are not available. ???

What happens if, instead of setting source-directory, you wait until
Emacs prompts for it when you first time click on the link, and then
select the right directory?  Does it work then?

And btw, what exactly do you mean by ``the place where I put the C
sources''?  Does the variable points to the `src' directory or to its
parent?

> 2) I can't raise the w32 file input dialog box even though
>         use-dialog-box
>         use-file-dialog
> are both set to t (on).

This works only if you click File->Open File from the menu bar.  If
you type "C-x C-f", Emacs doesn't pop up a file selection dialog
because people who type at the keyboard don't like to have to reach
for the mouse.

> Font dialog box comes up but won't change the font

This does work for me, so please report the details (to the address
suggested above).

> 3) Why can't calendar force use of a fixed font just for that buffer so
> that the alignment is maintained in the 3 month calendar display?

Because it wasn't coded.

Note that if you change your default font to a proportional one, you
will have aesthetic problems in quite a few other places, so this is
currently not recommended.

> iiii) I just found that at times, after a C-h f or C-h v, that the
> completion buffer won't accept a mouse-1 or mouse-2 click over a mouse
> sensitive item, but only dings, reports read-only, and dissappears.
> Quitting emacs and then restarting restored normal behavior.

Never had that, but then I am on Windows XP, not on 98.

* Re: cvs 22.0.50 + auctex
       [not found] ` <mailman.1113.1140552794.2856.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-02-22  5:18   ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2006-02-22  5:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks Peter, Stefan, and Eli.

"Eli Zaretskii" <eliz@gnu.org> wrote in message
> > From: "B. T. Raven" <ecinmn@peoplepc.com>
> > Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 05:48:06 GMT
> >
> > I have downloaded and installed this version on MS w98 and I find that
> > many problems with 21.3 have been addressed (copy paste of non 8859-1
> > characters now works, ucs-insert works, etc.). So far I have only 3
> > questions:
>
> This is not a good place to report problems and ask questions about
> the CVS code.  Please write to emacs-devel@gnu.org instead.

Okay, but I'll wait until I learn more.

> > *** C-h v and C-h f commands now include a hyperlink to the C source
for
> > variables and functions defined in C (if the C source is available)."
> >
> > I have setq'd and evaluated 'source-directory to the place where I put
the
> > c sources but when I click on a file, I get the message that the
sources
> > are not available. ???
>
> What happens if, instead of setting source-directory, you wait until
> Emacs prompts for it when you first time click on the link, and then
> select the right directory?  Does it work then?

It does, but the default is whatever directory has had the focus most
recently. I think I should have to tell emacs where the sources are only
once, not every session.

> And btw, what exactly do you mean by ``the place where I put the C
> sources''?  Does the variable points to the `src' directory or to its
> parent?

I added this to .emacs:

(setq source-directory "E:\\emacs\\emacs\\src\\") so it points to the src
directory itself. I.e., src is at the same level as bin, data, lisp, etc,
et cetera.

> > 2) I can't raise the w32 file input dialog box even though
> >         use-dialog-box
> >         use-file-dialog
> > are both set to t (on).
>
> This works only if you click File->Open File from the menu bar.  If
> you type "C-x C-f", Emacs doesn't pop up a file selection dialog
> because people who type at the keyboard don't like to have to reach
> for the mouse.

No, on W98 it doesn't work with the mouse either on menu- or toolbar. I
need it to work until I learn dired better.

> > Font dialog box comes up but won't change the font
>
> This does work for me, so please report the details (to the address
> suggested above).

Does that mean that you agree with this reported behavior and that it
doesn't work for you either?

> > 3) Why can't calendar force use of a fixed font just for that buffer
so
> > that the alignment is maintained in the 3 month calendar display?
>
> Because it wasn't coded.
>
> Note that if you change your default font to a proportional one, you
> will have aesthetic problems in quite a few other places, so this is
> currently not recommended.

That makes sense. I needed arialuni.ttf in order to learn about using
utf-8 and getting exotic characters from different unicode ranges into the
same buffer and file. I guess I can live with the empty rectangles as long
as I'm sure the correct bytes are "underneath" them. But it's nice to have
some degree of wysiwyg.

> > iiii) I just found that at times, after a C-h f or C-h v, that the
> > completion buffer won't accept a mouse-1 or mouse-2 click over a mouse
> > sensitive item, but only dings, reports read-only, and dissappears.
> > Quitting emacs and then restarting restored normal behavior.
>
> Never had that, but then I am on Windows XP, not on 98.

Thanks again,

Ed.

* Re: cvs 22.0.50 + auctex
@ 2006-02-22 18:51     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-02-22 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: "B. T. Raven" <ecinmn@peoplepc.com>
> Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 05:18:28 GMT
>
> > This is not a good place to report problems and ask questions about
> > the CVS code.  Please write to emacs-devel@gnu.org instead.
>
> Okay, but I'll wait until I learn more.

One doesn't need to learn anything to ask questions and report
problems.  There are no admission exams ;-)

> > And btw, what exactly do you mean by ``the place where I put the C
> > sources''?  Does the variable points to the `src' directory or to its
> > parent?
>
> I added this to .emacs:
>
> (setq source-directory "E:\\emacs\\emacs\\src\\") so it points to the src
> directory itself. I.e., src is at the same level as bin, data, lisp, etc,
> et cetera.

That's your mistake: source-directory should point to the root of the
Emacs tree, i.e. in your case, to E:\emacs\emacs, not to its src
subdirectory.  (Btw, I suggest to use forward slashes, even on
Windows.)

> > > 2) I can't raise the w32 file input dialog box even though
> > >         use-dialog-box
> > >         use-file-dialog
> > > are both set to t (on).
> >
> > This works only if you click File->Open File from the menu bar.  If
> > you type "C-x C-f", Emacs doesn't pop up a file selection dialog
> > because people who type at the keyboard don't like to have to reach
> > for the mouse.
>
> No, on W98 it doesn't work with the mouse either on menu- or toolbar.

It does for me, in XP.  Please report as a bug.

> > > Font dialog box comes up but won't change the font
> >
> > This does work for me, so please report the details (to the address
> > suggested above).
>
> Does that mean that you agree with this reported behavior and that it
> doesn't work for you either?

No, it means that for me it works: I can select a font, and Emacs then
uses the selected font instead of the default.

> That makes sense. I needed arialuni.ttf in order to learn about using
> utf-8 and getting exotic characters from different unicode ranges into the
> same buffer and file. I guess I can live with the empty rectangles as long
> as I'm sure the correct bytes are "underneath" them. But it's nice to have
> some degree of wysiwyg.

Perhaps you can find a non-proportional Unicode font, then.