* dotimes var comiler warning
@ 2016-11-24 12:47 Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2016-11-24 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hallo,

when employing a form

(dotimes (i erg)

    ...do-something

Compiler sends a warning "Unused lexical variable ‘i’ - whilst seems no
way to leave out such a var.

Worth a bug-report?

Thanks,

Andreas

* Re: dotimes var comiler warning
@ 2016-11-24 12:53 ` Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2016-11-24 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Nov 24 2016, Andreas Röhler wrote:
> when employing a form
>
> (dotimes (i erg)
>
>     ...do-something
>

> Compiler sends a warning "Unused lexical variable ‘i’ - whilst
> seems no
> way to leave out such a var.

This seems to work:

    (dotimes (_ erg)
      ...)

(info "(elisp) Using Lexical Binding") says:

,----
|    (To silence byte-compiler warnings about unused variables,
     just use a
| variable name that start with an underscore.  The byte-compiler
| interprets this as an indication that this is a variable known
  not to be
| used.)
`----

(Very bottom of the page)

HTH

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments

* Re: dotimes var comiler warning
@ 2016-11-24 13:32 ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2016-11-24 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andreas Röhler <andreas.roehler@easy-emacs.de> writes:

> when employing a form
>
> (dotimes (i erg)
>
>    ...do-something
>

> Compiler sends a warning "Unused lexical variable ‘i’ - whilst seems
> no way to leave out such a var.
>
> Worth a bug-report?

If none exists yet, I'm for it.  FWIW, there is a FIXME comment in the
source code already.

Yes, you can probably use `_' to suppress the warning, but I always
wondered why something called like this requires a variable to be
specified (mandatorily) at all.

Michael.

* Re: dotimes var comiler warning
@ 2016-11-24 13:59   ` Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2016-11-24 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 24.11.2016 13:53, Joost Kremers wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 24 2016, Andreas Röhler wrote:
>> when employing a form
>>
>> (dotimes (i erg)
>>
>>     ...do-something
>>

>> Compiler sends a warning "Unused lexical variable ‘i’ - whilst seems
>> no way to leave out such a var.
>
> This seems to work:
>
>    (dotimes (_ erg)
>      ...)
>
> (info "(elisp) Using Lexical Binding") says:
>
> ,----
> |    (To silence byte-compiler warnings about unused variables,
> just use a
> | variable name that start with an underscore.  The byte-compiler
> | interprets this as an indication that this is a variable known  not
> to be
> | used.)
> `----
>
> (Very bottom of the page)
>
> HTH

Thanks!

* Re: dotimes var comiler warning
@ 2016-11-24 14:14   ` Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2016-11-24 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 24.11.2016 14:32, Michael Heerdegen wrote:
> Andreas Röhler <andreas.roehler@easy-emacs.de> writes:
>
>> when employing a form
>>
>> (dotimes (i erg)
>>
>>     ...do-something
>>

>> Compiler sends a warning "Unused lexical variable ‘i’ - whilst seems
>> no way to leave out such a var.
>>
>> Worth a bug-report?
> If none exists yet, I'm for it.  FWIW, there is a FIXME comment in the
> source code already.
>
> Yes, you can probably use `_' to suppress the warning, but I always
> wondered why something called like this requires a variable to be
> specified (mandatorily) at all.
>

> Michael.

Done, thanks. It's #25017

* Re: dotimes var comiler warning
@ 2016-11-24 20:51   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2016-11-24 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Andreas Röhler <andreas.roehler@easy-emacs.de> writes:
>
>> when employing a form
>> (dotimes (i erg)
>> ...do-something
>>
>> Compiler sends a warning "Unused lexical variable
>> ‘i’ - whilst seems no way to leave out such a var.
>> Worth a bug-report?
>
> If none exists yet, I'm for it. FWIW, there is
> a FIXME comment in the source code already.
>
> Yes, you can probably use `_' to suppress the
> warning, but I always wondered why something called
> like this requires a variable to be specified
> (mandatorily) at all.

What about:

    (cl-loop do (message "High Five") repeat 4)

?

                   - so far: 26 Blogomatic articles -

* Re: dotimes var comiler warning
@ 2016-12-01 23:08     ` Emanuel Berg