On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 13:37:21 +0000, rayj@tau-re.org wrote: > A bit of an EMACS newbie here, despite having used it on and off for years. > So forgive me if this is really simple! > > If I edit a python file the python mode comes in automatically and works > fine. However,if I have another file and want to engage python mode > manually (M-x python-mode) Emacs replies [no match] > > python-mode.el and .elc are in /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp along with other > modes that work fine when invoked with M-x ! > > Can any one give me some pointers as to what to check? Just (autoload 'python-mode "python-mode" nil t) or (require 'python-mode). I don't know, if this is documented somewhere in the FAQs, but usually major modes do have a comment, explaining, how to install it. -- I accept RFC3156 and RFC2440-compatible encrypted mail. PGP key fingerprint: 123A 7CCE 6E26 6233 0D87 E01A A0F8 3524 FCD8 1841