* Q: Configuring Tramp on WinNT
@ 2003-11-10 21:30 Jack Saba
From: Jack Saba @ 2003-11-10 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am trying to configure tramp to be able to connect from the Win NT machine on
my desk to our Unix machines, but have not been able to get it to work. Any
suggestions would be appreciated. Much of what I have working is because of the
documents put together by T Roche, but his web page does not seem to be
available currently.

plink is set up. I can use plink from a shell window to connect, and I can
connect in an Emacs shell buffer using plink-ssh after typing in a password.
However, although it does work, the following shows up in the Emacs plink
connection buffer:

"The server's host key is not cached in the registry. You
have no guarantee that the server is the computer you
think it is.
The server's key fingerprint is:
1024 <STRING OF NUMBERS AND COLONS>
If you trust this host, enter "y" to add the key to
PuTTY's cache and carry on connecting."

Unfortunately, plink continues on without giving me a chance to answer y or n.
Since I am connecting with putty outside of Emacs, our sysadmin says the keys
are set up correctly.

When I try to use tramp, it asks for a password but then seems to go into a
loop. I am not running through cygwin. The tramp debug buffer shows the following --

  # Opening connection at MYMACHINE using nil...
  # Waiting for prompts from remote shell
  # Waiting 60s for prompt from remote shell
  # Looking for regexp "^.*\([pP]assword\|passphrase.*\):^@ *"
    from remote shell
  # Looking for regexp ".*ogin: *" from remote shell
  # Looking for regexp "^[^#$%
  ]*[#$%] *" from remote shell
  # Looking for regexp "^[^#$%
  ]*[#$%] *\(^[\[[0-9;]*[a-zA-Z] *\)*" from remote shell
  # Looking for regexp "^.*\(Connection \(?:\(?:clo\|refu\)sed\)\|Host key
  verification failed\.\|Login \(?:[Ii]ncorrect\)\|Name or service not
  known\|\(?:Permission denied\|Sorry, try again\)\.\).*\|^.*\(Received signal
  [0-9]+\).*" from remote shell

  and repeat forever, or at least until I hit ^G

  In the .emacs file, I have:

  ;;;; PLINK/PUTTY
  ;;;         plink setup for tramp
  ;;; SSH to host.
  (setq plink-program "plink")
  (defun plink-ssh (host)
     "Open a ssh (secure shell) connection. See `plink'."
     (interactive "sOpen ssh connection (user@host): ")
     (plink host "-ssh"))

  ;; Telnet to host.
  (defun plink (host &optional ssh-string)
     "Open a telnet connection to host named HOST (a string).
  Communication with HOST is recorded in a buffer `*plink-HOST*'.
  Normally input is edited in Emacs and sent a line at a time."
     (interactive "sOpen telnet connection (user@host): ")
     (require 'shell)
     (let ((name (concat "plink-" host))
           (password (comint-read-noecho "password: " t))
           (opt-string (if (eq ssh-string nil) "" ssh-string)))
       (pop-to-buffer
        (make-comint name plink-program nil opt-string host "-pw" password))
       (set-process-filter (get-process name) 'telnet-initial-filter)
       (telnet-mode)
       (accept-process-output  (get-buffer-process (current-buffer)))
       (send-string (get-buffer-process (current-buffer))
                    "stty echo\n")
       (setq telnet-count -16)))
  ;
  (require 'tramp)
  (setq tramp-verbose 10)
  (setq tramp-debug-buffer t)

I tried including

  (add-to-list 'tramp-methods...

in the .emacs file, but was not able to come up with a combination of parameters
that worked.

Jack Saba
jack . saba @ gsfc . nasa . gov

* Re: Q: Configuring Tramp on WinNT
@ 2003-11-11  6:05 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2003-11-11  6:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: "Jack Saba" <nospam@nospam.com>
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 16:30:55 -0500
>
> plink is set up. I can use plink from a shell window to connect, and I can
> connect in an Emacs shell buffer using plink-ssh after typing in a password.
> However, although it does work, the following shows up in the Emacs plink
> connection buffer:
>
> "The server's host key is not cached in the registry. You
> have no guarantee that the server is the computer you
> think it is.
> The server's key fingerprint is:
> 1024 <STRING OF NUMBERS AND COLONS>
> If you trust this host, enter "y" to add the key to
> PuTTY's cache and carry on connecting."
>
> Unfortunately, plink continues on without giving me a chance to
> answer y or n.

The solution to this is simple: configure PuTTY to have a session for
the server into which you want to login with Tramp, so that you never
have to type the user name or the pass phrase during the login
process.  Don't forget to have paegeant running at all times with the
key loaded into it.

* Re: Q: Configuring Tramp on WinNT
@ 2003-11-11 16:11 ` Peter Lee
From: Peter Lee @ 2003-11-11 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Jack> in the .emacs file, but was not able to come up with a
    Jack> combination of parameters that worked.

I have the following in my .emacs :

(require 'tramp)
(add-to-list 'tramp-methods
             '("plink2"
              (tramp-connection-function  tramp-open-connection-rsh)
              (tramp-login-program        "plink")
              (tramp-copy-program         nil)
              (tramp-remote-sh            "/bin/sh")
              (tramp-login-args           ("-2" "-ssh"))
              (tramp-copy-args            nil)
              (tramp-copy-keep-date-arg   nil)
              (tramp-password-end-of-line "xy")))

(setq tramp-default-method "plink2")

This allows me to 'C-x d /user@host:/home/user RET' and get a
directory listing.  I can browse and copy files (text only) with no
problem.  However, if I try to open a remote shell (using plink) from
eshell I run into the same problems as you.

Basically I've just been using a seperate cmd (or cygwin) window for
that purpose.

Just some more info that may help... if you solve the eshell problem
please post your solution.

* Re: Q: Configuring Tramp on WinNT
@ 2003-12-03 22:33 ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2003-12-03 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Jack Saba" <nospam@nospam.com> writes:

> "The server's host key is not cached in the registry. You
> have no guarantee that the server is the computer you
> think it is.
> The server's key fingerprint is:
> 1024 <STRING OF NUMBERS AND COLONS>
> If you trust this host, enter "y" to add the key to
> PuTTY's cache and carry on connecting."

Tramp knows to watch for questions from the remote host and then asks
the user.  The above seems to be a y/n question.  Thus, see the
variable tramp-actions-before-shell, which references the variable
tramp-yn-prompt-regexp.  You could try to tweak the variable
tramp-yn-prompt-regexp such that it recognizes the last(!) line of the
above question.

I'm guessing that the last two lines "If you trust... carry on
connecting." are actually a single line, so that might lead to a
useful regexp to enter in tramp-yn-prompt-regexp.

If it works, please email tramp-devel@nongnu.org so that the default
value of that variable is changed.

Does this help?

(I'm emailing the OP because it's been so long ago.  Hope Jack doesn't
mind.)

Kai