* batch mode
@ 2008-03-02 18:50 Sebastian Tennant
From: Sebastian Tennant @ 2008-03-02 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi all,

By default Emacs in batch mode sends 'message's to stderr.

Is it possible to put a directive in the file loaded with the '-l'
switch, that tells Emacs to send 'message's to stdout instead?

Sebastian

* Re: batch mode
@ 2008-03-02 22:22 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-03-02 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Tennant; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 02.03.2008 um 19:50 schrieb Sebastian Tennant:

> Is it possible to put a directive in the file loaded with the '-l'
> switch, that tells Emacs to send 'message's to stdout instead?

Do you that in shell it's possible unite stderr and stdout?

--
Greetings

   Pete

There is no national science just as there is no national
multiplication table; what is national is no longer science.
				– Anton Checov

* Re: batch mode
       [not found] <mailman.8180.1204483870.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-03-03  0:34 ` Pascal Bourguignon
       [not found]   ` <mailman.8214.1204537035.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Pascal Bourguignon @ 2008-03-03  0:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Sebastian Tennant <sebyte@smolny.plus.com> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> By default Emacs in batch mode sends 'message's to stderr.
>
> Is it possible to put a directive in the file loaded with the '-l'
> switch, that tells Emacs to send 'message's to stdout instead?

Why use message if message doesn't do what you want?  Use print!
(and princ, terpri, etc).

READ THIS BEFORE OPENING PACKAGE: According to certain suggested
versions of the Grand Unified Theory, the primary particles
constituting this product may decay to nothingness within the next
four hundred million years.

* Re: batch mode
@ 2008-03-03  9:36   ` Sebastian Tennant
       [not found]   ` <mailman.8214.1204537035.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Sebastian Tennant @ 2008-03-03  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Quoth Pascal Bourguignon <pjb@informatimago.com>:
> Sebastian Tennant <sebyte@smolny.plus.com> writes:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> By default Emacs in batch mode sends 'message's to stderr.
>>
>> Is it possible to put a directive in the file loaded with the '-l'
>> switch, that tells Emacs to send 'message's to stdout instead?
>
> Why use message if message doesn't do what you want?  Use print!
> (and princ, terpri, etc).

It's not my code, and there are a lot of messages in there!

Peter, of course 2>&1 works in a shell, but my guile script calls emacs
directly to avoid the overhead of the shell.

It turns out, guile has good port redirection routines and I'm able to
route stderr programmatically within the script.

Thanks to you both.

Sebastian

* Re: batch mode
       [not found]   ` <mailman.8214.1204537035.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-03-11 21:18     ` Brendan Halpin
From: Brendan Halpin @ 2008-03-11 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Can I hijack the thread to ask if there is a way of suppressing the
#!/usr/bin/emacs --script
convention?

At present this:
#!/usr/bin/emacs --script
(princ "Hello World!\n")

generates the following output:
brendan@annacotty:/tmp$ ./hw.el
Skipping dictionaries-common setup for emacs-snapshot
Hello World!

Adding options like -q and --no-site-file to the bang line don't seem to
have any effect, and this makes Emacs unattractive for small scripts.

Brendan
--
Brendan Halpin,  Department of Sociology,  University of Limerick,  Ireland
Tel: w +353-61-213147 f +353-61-202569 h +353-61-338562; Room F2-025 x 3147