* dns mode
@ 2010-04-21 18:33 Nachiket Gokhale
From: Nachiket Gokhale @ 2010-04-21 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

It appears that I cannot save files with the extension "zone" e.g.
"foobar.zone" because emacs has loaded something called dns-mode by
default. How do I turn this thing off? What change do I have to make
to my .emacs.d/init.el file?

Thanks a lot,

-Nachiket

* Re: dns mode
@ 2010-04-21 20:49 ` Dmitry Dzhus
       [not found]   ` <mailman.14.1273185801.9285.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Dmitry Dzhus @ 2010-04-21 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Nachiket Gokhale wrote:
> It appears that I cannot save files with the extension "zone" e.g.
> "foobar.zone" because emacs has loaded something called dns-mode by
> default. How do I turn this thing off? What change do I have to make
> to my .emacs.d/init.el file?

Emacs associates file extensions and major modes by looking into
`auto-mode-alist` variable, you can clean all `.zone`-matching entries
from it if you don't want Emacs to turn on DNS mode when editing such files:

    (setq auto-mode-alist (delete '("\\.\\(soa\\|zone\\)\\'" . dns-mode) auto-mode-alist))
    (setq auto-mode-alist (delete '("\\.zone\\'" . zone-mode) auto-mode-alist))

You may get more information by reading section 27.1 of GNU Emacs manual
(«How Major Modes are Chosen»).
--
Happy Hacking.

http://sphinx.net.ru^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: dns mode
@ 2010-05-06 22:43   ` Kevin Rodgers
       [not found]   ` <mailman.14.1273185801.9285.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2010-05-06 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Dmitry Dzhus wrote:
> Nachiket Gokhale wrote:
>> It appears that I cannot save files with the extension "zone" e.g.
>> "foobar.zone" because emacs has loaded something called dns-mode by
>> default. How do I turn this thing off? What change do I have to make
>> to my .emacs.d/init.el file?
>
> Emacs associates file extensions and major modes by looking into
> `auto-mode-alist` variable, you can clean all `.zone`-matching entries
> from it if you don't want Emacs to turn on DNS mode when editing such files:
>
>     (setq auto-mode-alist (delete '("\\.\\(soa\\|zone\\)\\'" . dns-mode) auto-mode-alist))
>     (setq auto-mode-alist (delete '("\\.zone\\'" . zone-mode) auto-mode-alist))

Oddly enough, my emacs (22.3) -Q has 2 entries for dns-mode in auto-mode-alist:

("\\.soa\\'" . dns-mode)
("\\.\\(soa\\|zone\\)\\'" . dns-mode)

So I would do something like:

(let ((auto-dns))
   (while (setq auto-dns (rassq 'dns-mode auto-mode-alist))
     (setq auto-mode-alist (delq auto-dns auto-mode-alist))))

And similarly for zone-mode.  This also has the advantage of working
regardless of the regexp used to match the file name.

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA

* Re: dns mode
       [not found]   ` <mailman.14.1273185801.9285.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2010-05-07  2:59     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2010-05-07  2:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> And similarly for zone-mode.  This also has the advantage of working
> regardless of the regexp used to match the file name.

A simpler solution is to not remove anything but add instead:

  (push '("\\.soa\\'" . my-mode) auto-mode-alist)

this will work regardless of the shape and number of entries in
auto-mode-alist.

* Re: dns mode
@ 2010-05-07  6:48 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2010-05-07  6:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, Apr 21 2010, Nachiket Gokhale wrote:

> It appears that I cannot save files with the extension "zone" e.g.
> "foobar.zone" because emacs has loaded something called dns-mode by
> default. How do I turn this thing off? What change do I have to make
> to my .emacs.d/init.el file?

Maybe it is a bug in dns-mode that there is no way to force a save?

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)