From: Tom Roche <Tom_Roche@pobox.com>
To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org,
Subject: debugging missing `info`
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2011 12:26:40 -0500	[thread overview]

I'm running

$ lsb_release -ds
Linux Mint Debian Edition # Update Pack 3
$ uname -rv
2.6.39-2-amd64 #1 SMP Tue Jul 5 02:51:22 UTC 2011
$ emacs --version
GNU Emacs 23.3.1

which I installed from a debian package. When from the bash commandline I do

$ info emacs

I get info file=efaq

- The GNU Emacs FAQ

but I expect info file=emacs. Similarly, when I do `C-h i` from emacs, in the Directory node I see only (in category=Emacs)

- Emacs
- * ESS: (ess).                   Emacs Speaks Statistics (S/S+/R, SAS,
-                                   BUGS/JAGS, Stata, XLisp-Stat).
- * Emacs FAQ: (emacs-23/efaq).   Frequently Asked Questions about Emacs.

where I expect to see

+ Emacs
+ * ESS: (ess).                   Emacs Speaks Statistics (S/S+/R, SAS,
+                                   BUGS/JAGS, Stata, XLisp-Stat).
+ * Emacs: (emacs)               The extensible self-documenting text editor.
+ * Emacs FAQ: (emacs-23/efaq).   Frequently Asked Questions about Emacs.

How to fix this? I'm guessing this is a package management problem: if
so, are there specific things I should request from the maintainers? Are
there configuration details I should check on my side first?

TIA, Tom Roche <Tom_Roche@pobox.com>