* Slightly annoying helm behavior
@ 2015-10-11 22:48 Kendall Shaw
From: Kendall Shaw @ 2015-10-11 22:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-emacs

I suppose this is not a bug and it's a strange case. But, it's
confusing and maybe worth noting.

If I have 2 files in a directory:

something.cfg
another-something.config

and I attempt to rename something.cfg to something.config, helm
suggests the existing file another-something.config as the target name.

If I were used to overwriting files while doing some task, I might
accept the suggestion and say yes to overwrite, not noticing that I
have just clobbered a different file than I expected.

Kendall

* Re: Slightly annoying helm behavior
@ 2015-10-12 10:30 ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2015-10-12 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello Kendall,

> If I have 2 files in a directory:
>
> something.cfg
> another-something.config
>
> and I attempt to rename something.cfg to something.config, helm
> suggests the existing file another-something.config as the target name.

(there is a Helm mailing list for Helm related questions btw)

Please specify "attempt to rename".

If you speak about dired: This is an issue that once had been fixed, but
it seems the fix doesn't work anymore.  Please see

    https://github.com/emacs-helm/helm/issues/910

I've just reopened it.

If you don't have a github account, let's continue the discussion on the
Helm list.

Thanks,

Michael.

* Re: Slightly annoying helm behavior
@ 2015-10-13 10:03   ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2015-10-13 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> If you speak about dired: This is an issue that once had been fixed,
> but it seems the fix doesn't work anymore.  Please see
>
>     https://github.com/emacs-helm/helm/issues/910
>
> I've just reopened it.

This has been fixed now.  Thanks.

Michael.

* Re: Slightly annoying helm behavior
@ 2015-10-14 16:50     ` Kendall Shaw
From: Kendall Shaw @ 2015-10-14 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, 2015-10-13 at 12:03 +0200, Michael Heerdegen wrote:
> Michael Heerdegen <michael_heerdegen@web.de> writes:
>
> > If you speak about dired: This is an issue that once had been
> > fixed,
> > but it seems the fix doesn't work anymore.  Please see
> >
> >     https://github.com/emacs-helm/helm/issues/910
> >
> > I've just reopened it.
>
> This has been fixed now.  Thanks.

I wasn't sure that that bug was the same issue. But, the behavior I was
talking about is "fixed" now, or it doesn't suggest clobbering the
existing file anymore.

Thanks.

Kendall