* How can I stop Emacs from messing up my code by changing case
@ 2006-02-21 11:33 anne001
From: anne001 @ 2006-02-21 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Emacs keep changing cases on me. Sometimes it will take a word and put
a capital letter. That messes up ruby because words with capital
letters are supposed to be class... or it takes end and makes it End
and things no longer work.

or it takes GLUT and make it into Glut which no longer work.

Please help me stop this madness permanently, its is driving me nuts to
find emacs screwups, on top of mine

anne

* Re: How can I stop Emacs from messing up my code by changing case
@ 2006-02-21 12:25 ` anne001
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: anne001 @ 2006-02-21 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

I don't think I have autocap.el
I am thinking that I am invoking capitalization without realizing it by
typing apple C on my mac.

I think what I need is a way of permanently disabling the problematic
-for me short cut.

the emacs preference looks unfriendly, I can't imagine how to find a
needle in that hay stack.

What can I do?

* Re: How can I stop Emacs from messing up my code by changing case
@ 2006-02-21 13:01   ` anne001
From: anne001 @ 2006-02-21 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

http://www.delorie.com/gnu/docs/emacs/emacs_496.html

I found this. I don't know if I have to set it each time.

* Re: How can I stop Emacs from messing up my code by changing case
@ 2006-02-21 13:37   ` Peter Tury
From: Peter Tury @ 2006-02-21 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 21 Feb 2006 04:25:15 -0800, anne001 wrote:

> I don't think I have autocap.el
> I am thinking that I am invoking capitalization without realizing it by
> typing apple C on my mac.
>
> I think what I need is a way of permanently disabling the problematic
> -for me short cut.
>
> What can I do?

What version of Emacs do you use? How your .emacs, default.el, site-lisp.el
looks like (if you have them)? What is the active mode when these things
happens?

Anyway, you can check the actual key bindings by C-h b (describe-bindings).

Br,

* Re: How can I stop Emacs from messing up my code by changing case
@ 2006-02-21 14:05     ` anne001
From: anne001 @ 2006-02-21 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am using gnu emacs november 2005, 22.0.50.1
for mac
I tried C-h b and got a whole list of bindings! nothing about
capitalization there.

I found the apple C binding for capitalization in this list
http://otn.oracle.com/jdeveloper/help/__inl.inline.true/__inl.topic.ide_rkeymapemacs_html/__inl.html
apple C seemed the most likely culprit

and apple C does behave to capitalize words and it does turn GLUT into
Glut

I can  bind apple C to nothing, but if I restart emacs, the new binding
is forgotten.
So I don't have a permanent fix for now

* Re: How can I stop Emacs from messing up my code by changing case
@ 2006-02-21 14:43       ` Tim McNamara
From: Tim McNamara @ 2006-02-21 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

"anne001" <anne@wjh.harvard.edu> writes:

> I am using gnu emacs november 2005, 22.0.50.1 for mac I tried C-h b
> and got a whole list of bindings! nothing about capitalization
> there.
>
> I found the apple C binding for capitalization in this list
> http://otn.oracle.com/jdeveloper/help/__inl.inline.true/__inl.topic.ide_rkeymapemacs_html/__inl.html
> apple C seemed the most likely culprit
>
> and apple C does behave to capitalize words and it does turn GLUT
> into Glut
>
> I can bind apple C to nothing, but if I restart emacs, the new
> binding is forgotten.  So I don't have a permanent fix for now

As a fellow Mac user, my advice is to read the documentation for
Emacs, especially what do with with your .emacs (the equivalent of a
prefs file).  Emacs operates like nothing in the Mac world, it is its
own beast with its own terminology and conventions.  I read once that
Emacs is "more than an application and not quite an operating system."

You don't say if you are using a Carbon Emacs build or using it under
X11 or even in Terminal.  That can make a big difference in how the
application behaves.  Aquamacs is much more "Mac-familiar" in that
many of the normal Mac keybindings are useable (e.g., copy, cut,
paste, open, etc).  There are some Carbon Emacsen with some adapted
keybindings, too.

In all cases, though, you will want to learn how to use the .emacs
file to control how emacs operates on your computer.  That means
learning a little bit of Emacs' Lisp dialect.  The built-in tutorial
covers some of this, and there are various sources on the Internet
that are also helpful.  All of the Emacs documentation is available on
the Web as well as built-in to Emacs, and there are things like the
Emacswiki besides.

* Re: How can I stop Emacs from messing up my code by changing case
@ 2006-02-21 16:31   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2006-02-21 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I don't think I have autocap.el
> I am thinking that I am invoking capitalization without realizing it by
> typing apple C on my mac.

It's called M-c in Emacs.  You can add the following in yor .emacs:

  (global-unset-key [(meta c)])

or you can arrange for the "Apple"-modifier to be mapped to something else
than meta.  Try to customize mac-option-modifier, mac-command-modifier,
mac-function-modifier.  Maybe you'll find a different arrangement that suits
you better.

* Re: How can I stop Emacs from messing up my code by changing case
@ 2006-02-21 16:52     ` anne001
From: anne001 @ 2006-02-21 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you very much Stefan Monnier. Tim McNamara was showing me the
way,
but I have so much learning to do, I am glad you told me what to do on
this one.

@ 2006-02-21 18:45 ` kgold
       [not found] ` <mailman.1151.1140561580.2856.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: kgold @ 2006-02-21 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

If you haven't figured this by now, this it not the default emacs
behavior.  I suspect you are in some special mode that's trying to be
clever about capitalization.

The first step is to run with -q -no-site-file and confirm that it
doesn't do that anymore.  Then add one or the other back to figure out
which file is the cause.  Finally, assuming it's something in your
.emacs, start commenting out sections to find the offending line.

@ 2006-02-21 21:33 ` Björn Lindström
       [not found] ` <mailman.1151.1140561580.2856.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Björn Lindström @ 2006-02-21 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

"anne001" <anne@wjh.harvard.edu>:

> Emacs keep changing cases on me. Sometimes it will take a word and put
> a capital letter. That messes up ruby because words with capital
> letters are supposed to be class... or it takes end and makes it End
> and things no longer work.

It sounds like you are invoking the function capitalize-word (bound to
`M-c') by mistake.

The next time this happens, you can press `C-h l' to get a list of your
last 100 input keystrokes, and see if there are any `M-c' or `ESC c'
in there.

* Re: How can I stop Emacs from messing up my code by changing case
@ 2006-02-21 22:12     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-02-21 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 21.02.2006 um 14:01 schrieb anne001:

> http://www.delorie.com/gnu/docs/emacs/emacs_496.html
>
> I found this. I don't know if I have to set it each time.

You can try in .emacs:

	(global-unset-key [(alt meta z)])
	(global-unset-key [A-mouse-1])
	(global-unset-key [C-z])

with whatever your key is (to determine this key: C-h k <your key>).

--
Greetings

   Pete

"Email is a wonderful thing for people whose role in life is to be on
top of things. But not for me; my role is to be on the bottom of
things. What I do takes long hours of studying and uninterruptible
concentration."   -Donald Knuth

* Re: How can I stop Emacs from messing up my code by changing case
@ 2006-02-21 22:56       ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2006-02-21 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

anne001 wrote:
> I am using gnu emacs november 2005, 22.0.50.1
> for mac
> I tried C-h b and got a whole list of bindings! nothing about
> capitalization there.
>
> I found the apple C binding for capitalization in this list
> http://otn.oracle.com/jdeveloper/help/__inl.inline.true/__inl.topic.ide_rkeymapemacs_html/__inl.html
> apple C seemed the most likely culprit
>
> and apple C does behave to capitalize words and it does turn GLUT into
> Glut
>
> I can  bind apple C to nothing, but if I restart emacs, the new binding
> is forgotten.
> So I don't have a permanent fix for now

I'm not a Mac user, but Googling leads me to suggest that you put this
in your ~/.emacs file:
(setq mac-command-key-is-meta nil)

You might also be interested in Easymacs:
http://www.dur.ac.uk/p.j.heslin/Software/Emacs/Easymacs/index.php

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: How can I stop Emacs from messing up my code by changing case
@ 2006-02-21 22:57       ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-02-21 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 21.02.2006 um 15:05 schrieb anne001:

> I am using gnu emacs november 2005, 22.0.50.1
> for mac

Where did you get it from? What is Cmd(apple)-x emacs-version RET
returning?

Obviously your Cmd key works like the Meta key. Does

	(setq mac-command-modifier nil)

change its behaviour? Or does

	(setq mac-command-key-is-meta nil)

work? What does

	(setq mac-pass-option-to-system t)

effect?

--
Greetings

   Pete
               <\
                 \__     O                       __O
                 | O\   _\\/\-%                _`\<,
                 '()-'-(_)--(_)               (_)/(_)

* RE: How can I stop Emacs from messing up my code by changing case
@ 2006-02-21 23:18         ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2006-02-21 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

   I read once that Emacs is "more than an application and not quite an
   operating system."

Hmm.  How about more than an operating system and not quite an application?
;-)

@ 2006-03-18 19:41   ` anne001
From: anne001 @ 2006-03-18 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

C-h l as in list does produce a list of key strokes! How many other
strange
features lurk behind emacs!!!  an .emacs  file with
the command suggested in my ~/ directory did solve my problem.

Thank you so much to all who helped me
anne