From: BP25 <bp25@riseup.net>
To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Rmail and POP3 and Outlook online
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 16:17:22 +0100	[thread overview]

Hello everyone,

My organisation uses Microsoft365, and therefore Outlook online for
email. Microsoft disabled what they call ``basic authentication'' (that
is username and password authentication) for POP3 and IMAP4 on October
2022 and app passwords have been turned off as well.

I use Rmail on Emacs. I'm struggling to understand how to connect. I
read from ``Authenticate an IMAP, POP or SMTP connection using OAuth'':

You can use the OAuth authentication service provided by Microsoft Entra
(Microsoft Entra) to enable your application connect with IMAP, POP, or
SMTP protocols to access Exchange Online in Office 365. To use OAuth
with your application, you need to:

    Register your application with Microsoft Entra.  Get an access token
    from a token server.  Authenticate connection requests with an
    access token.

I set up 2FA on my account, which allows me to login via browser by
generating TOTP with any authentication software of my choice (KeePassXC
at the moment). I would expect 2FA via POP3 would require incorporating
the TOTP code in the connection somehow, but it looks from the lines
above that registering the application with Microsoft is required? I'm
very confused because this seems nonsensical, any clarifications?