* How to list directories in eshell
@ 2008-10-15  9:56 Lorenzo Isella
       [not found] ` <mailman.1100.1224065660.25473.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Lorenzo Isella @ 2008-10-15  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Dear All,
Within bash, I can easily list the directories only within the current
directory by issuing for instance

$ ls -d */

However, the same command does not work in eshell (it returns both the
directories and the files).
So, what is the equivalent eshell command?
Cheers

Lorenzo

* Re: How to list directories in eshell
@ 2008-10-15 10:12 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.1100.1224065660.25473.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-10-15 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lorenzo Isella; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 15.10.2008 um 11:56 schrieb Lorenzo Isella:

> Within bash, I can easily list the directories only within the current
> directory by issuing for instance
>
> $ ls -d */

This is a malfunction in bash. 'ls -d' tells ls to list everything as
a directory. In tcsh your command works correctly, i.e., it lists all
visible entries as if they were directories.

--
Greetings

   Pete

If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then
the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization.
				– Weinberg's Second Law

@ 2008-10-16  0:21   ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2008-10-16  0:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Am 15.10.2008 um 11:56 schrieb Lorenzo Isella:
>
>> Within bash, I can easily list the directories only within the current
>> directory by issuing for instance
>>
>> $ ls -d */
>

> This is a malfunction in bash. 'ls -d' tells ls to list everything as a
> directory. In tcsh your command works correctly, i.e., it lists all
> visible entries as if they were directories.

Seems odd for it to be a bash problem if it works fine under bash as the
OP indicates.

Note that in emacs 23, eshell and ls -d * works as expected i.e. only
gives directory names and not contents - the same as it does when run
under bash.

I'm running

GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.12.11) of 2008-10-11 on lion
GNU bash, version 3.2.39(1)-release (i486-pc-linux-gnu)
ls (GNU coreutils) 6.10
Linux lion 2.6.26-1-686 #1 SMP Wed Oct 1 12:03:14 UTC 2008 i686 GNU/Linux

What version of emacs and bash and what platform is the OP on?

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au

* Re: How to list directories in eshell
       [not found] <48f7101c.241e640a.77f5.ffffe26cSMTPIN_ADDED@mx.google.com>
@ 2008-10-16 18:50 ` Lorenzo Isella
From: Lorenzo Isella @ 2008-10-16 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Tim X <timx@nospam.dev.null>
> Subject: Re: How to list directories in eshell
> To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE> writes:
>

>> Am 15.10.2008 um 11:56 schrieb Lorenzo Isella:
>>

>>> Within bash, I can easily list the directories only within the current
>>> directory by issuing for instance
>>>
>>> $ ls -d */
>>>
>> This is a malfunction in bash. 'ls -d' tells ls to list everything as a
>> directory. In tcsh your command works correctly, i.e., it lists all
>> visible entries as if they were directories.
>>

> Seems odd for it to be a bash problem if it works fine under bash as the
> OP indicates.
>
> Note that in emacs 23, eshell and ls -d * works as expected i.e. only
> gives directory names and not contents - the same as it does when run
> under bash.
>
> I'm running
>
> GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.12.11) of 2008-10-11 on lion
> GNU bash, version 3.2.39(1)-release (i486-pc-linux-gnu)
> ls (GNU coreutils) 6.10
> Linux lion 2.6.26-1-686 #1 SMP Wed Oct 1 12:03:14 UTC 2008 i686 GNU/Linux
>
> What version of emacs and bash and what platform is the OP on?
>
> Tim

Hello,
I am running Debian testing on my box and emacs 22. I solved the problem
defining the alias:

alias lsd ls -la $* | grep "^d"

Cheers

Lorenzo