From: James Thomas <jimjoe@gmx.net>
To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Re: 29.1: tramp: use $SHELL environment variable to start remote shell?
Date: Sat, 02 Mar 2024 03:05:32 +0530	[thread overview]

Giovanni Biscuolo wrote:

> Giovanni Biscuolo <g@xelera.eu> writes:
>
> [...]
>
>> I need my remote profile to be loaded because all hosts I manage have
>> Guix [2] installed and all needed environment variables are set by the
>> user profile; here is an example of a "M-x shell" remote connection to a
>> guix host (foreign distro), the same holds for "M-x eshell":

>> /ssh:local.biscuolo.anemone:/localhome/g/ #$ guix describe
>>   guix 3676e31
>>     repository URL: https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git
>>     commit: 3676e312aaf1ce10ed1d7844e871b54e04624098
>> /ssh:local.biscuolo.anemone:/localhome/g/ #$ $SHELL -l
>> (anemone)g@anemone:~$ guix describe
>> Generation 9	Apr 21 2021 09:23:33	(current)
>>   guix 13c4a37
>>     repository URL: https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git
>>     branch: master
>>     commit: 13c4a377f5a2e1240790679f3d5643385b6d7635

>> (as you can see, without proper environment guix is not able to run as
>> it should)
>
> Please forgive me for the noise: the problem is in the environment of
> (one of) my remote user!
>
> I tested again with other users on other hosts and the environment
> variables of my profile are correctly set.
>
> Anyway, the shell I get when connecting is still not fully functional,
> for example autocompletion does not work (write a substring and then
> TAB) and also up and down arrow keys do not work (echoes escape
> sequances instead of showing the shell history)

(FWIW)

You might need to set $TERM, but I don't use vterm, only M-x shell; see
(info "(emacs) Shell") for 'explicit-shell-file-name' and its '-args'.
And this package for autocompletion in it:

https://github.com/CeleritasCelery/emacs-native-shell-complete

eshell has its own (limited) completion (which is good enough for me)
but you can also use:

https://github.com/szermatt/emacs-bash-completion

...which is slightly heavier, because the previous package doesn't
support eshell (yet).