* Makefile dependency display
@ 2005-12-09  9:43 Brendan Halpin
       [not found] ` <mailman.18585.1134140443.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Brendan Halpin @ 2005-12-09  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Do there exist any emacs tools to display the structure of a
makefile? It would be very nice to show the dependency tree of a
makefile in a separate buffer.

Brendan
--
Brendan Halpin,  Department of Sociology,  University of Limerick,  Ireland
Tel: w +353-61-213147 f +353-61-202569 h +353-61-338562; Room F2-025 x 3147

* Re: Makefile dependency display
@ 2005-12-09 14:58 ` Ian Zimmerman
       [not found] ` <mailman.18585.1134140443.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Ian Zimmerman @ 2005-12-09 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 09 Dec 2005 09:43:50 +0000, Brendan Halpin <brendan.halpin@ul.ie> wrote:
> Do there exist any emacs tools to display the structure of a
> makefile? It would be very nice to show the dependency tree of a
> makefile in a separate buffer.

I have a tool to massage the output of gmake -p into a graph in dot notation.
It would be trivial to add an option to output a Lisp form instead.  What you'd
do with it would be up to you ...

Of course, if your make is not GNU make, this doesn't help you at all.

--
"Political systems do not deal easily
with long term threats,

@ 2005-12-09 15:49   ` Brendan Halpin
From: Brendan Halpin @ 2005-12-09 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ian Zimmerman <nobrowser@gmail.com> writes:

> I have a tool to massage the output of gmake -p into a graph in dot notation.
> It would be trivial to add an option to output a Lisp form instead.  What you'd
> do with it would be up to you ...
>
> Of course, if your make is not GNU make, this doesn't help you at all.

Yes, it's gmake, and I would be interested in seeing your program.

Thanks,

Brendan
--

@ 2005-12-09 18:17   ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2005-12-09 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs, brendan.halpin

Ian Zimmerman wrote:

>On 09 Dec 2005 09:43:50 +0000, Brendan Halpin <brendan.halpin@ul.ie> wrote:
>

>>Do there exist any emacs tools to display the structure of a
>>makefile? It would be very nice to show the dependency tree of a
>>makefile in a separate buffer.
>>

>I have a tool to massage the output of gmake -p into a graph in dot notation.
>It would be trivial to add an option to output a Lisp form instead.  What you'd
>do with it would be up to you ...

Sounds interesting, where is it?

* Re: Makefile dependency display
@ 2005-12-09 18:32     ` Ian Zimmerman
From: Ian Zimmerman @ 2005-12-09 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs, brendan.halpin

On 12/9/05, Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se> wrote:
> Ian Zimmerman wrote:
>
> >On 09 Dec 2005 09:43:50 +0000, Brendan Halpin <brendan.halpin@ul.ie> wrote:
> >

> >>Do there exist any emacs tools to display the structure of a
> >>makefile? It would be very nice to show the dependency tree of a
> >>makefile in a separate buffer.
> >>

> >I have a tool to massage the output of gmake -p into a graph in dot notation.
> >It would be trivial to add an option to output a Lisp form instead.  What you'd
> >do with it would be up to you ...
> >

> Sounds interesting, where is it?

Wait, I am at work now.  I'll upload it when I get home tonight.

--

@ 2005-12-10  6:56     ` Ian Zimmerman
From: Ian Zimmerman @ 2005-12-10  6:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Ian> I have a tool to massage the output of gmake -p into a graph in dot
Ian> notation.  It would be trivial to add an option to output a Lisp
Ian> form instead.  What you'd do with it would be up to you ...

Ian> Of course, if your make is not GNU make, this doesn't help you at
Ian> all.

Brendan> Yes, it's gmake, and I would be interested in seeing your
Brendan> program.

http://www.cpan.org/authors/id/T/TH/THEDEVIL/makedot-20051210

There's currently no documentation but here is the list of options:

-i regex1,regex2,...	ignore targets that match one of the regexes
[default: '^/usr/(local/)?(lib|include)/', '^/opt/' unless -s is also given,
see below]

-p program		use program (including flags) as the make program
[default: 'make -p -q']

-n name			name the dot graph with name

-s			include system headers in graph (which will surely
                        make it unreadable)

Let me know if you feel like adding the Lisp part, or if not maybe specify
the format to the degree you want (of course I reserve the option to do
it differently).

--
A true pessimist won't be discouraged by a little success.