* debian emacs 22.2.1 why do greek and hebrew fonts display normally  with -nw and not in an xwindow
@ 2008-11-28 20:44 shul
From: shul @ 2008-11-28 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi I have an utf8 encoded file with some greek characters and it looks
like "square boxes" when it  opens in
with
emacs 3.pl
while it looks fine with
emacs -nw 3.pl.

If you want to look at the files. I downloaded them  from

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-cpunicode/index.html
cp35.zip

What is wrong with my  setup. What can I do so that the characters
will display in both the x windows and term version of emacs?
Mitchell Laks

* Re: debian emacs 22.2.1 why do greek and hebrew fonts display normally with -nw and not in an xwindow
@ 2008-11-28 22:40 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-11-28 22:40 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: shul; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 28.11.2008 um 21:44 schrieb shul:

> What is wrong with my  setup. What can I do so that the characters
> will display in both the x windows and term version of emacs?

One option is to use in GNU Emacs the same font as is used in your
terminal (emulation). Another one is to check your fonts (if you have
fontconfig installed you could simply: fc-list :lang=el,he – el
stands for ελληνικά and he for Hebrew, see RFC 3066 which in
turn references ISO 639).

Now you can use any of these fonts as the default font for GNU Emacs
– or you can alter the (default) fontset in use!

--
Greetings

   Pete

Ce qui été compris n'existe plus.    (Paul Eluard)

* Re: debian emacs 22.2.1 why do greek and hebrew fonts display normally with -nw and not in an xwindow
@ 2008-11-28 23:21 ` Giorgos Keramidas
From: Giorgos Keramidas @ 2008-11-28 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 12:44:05 -0800 (PST), shul <meshulum@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi I have an utf8 encoded file with some greek characters and it looks
> like "square boxes" when it  opens in
> with
> emacs 3.pl
> while it looks fine with
> emacs -nw 3.pl.
>
> If you want to look at the files. I downloaded them  from
>
> http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-cpunicode/index.html
> cp35.zip
>
> What is wrong with my  setup. What can I do so that the characters
> will display in both the x windows and term version of emacs?

The -nw sessions use whatever font happens to be the terminal font for
your currently open terminal window.

For standalone X11 sessions of Emacs you will have to use a font that
supports Greek UTF-8 text.  I regularly type Greek text using either the
UTF-8 or the ISO 8859-7 coding system using the `DejaVu Sans Mono' or
the `Liberation Mono' fonts.

You can install the DejaVu fonts in Debian by typing:

    # apt-get install ttf-dejavu

You can install the Liberation fonts by typing:

    # apt-get install ttf-liberation

Then it should be possible to see these fonts in the output of fc-list:

    # fc-list ':lang=el' | fgrep -i mono
    DejaVu Sans Mono:style=Bold Oblique
    DejaVu Sans Mono:style=Oblique
    DejaVu Sans Mono:style=Book
    DejaVu Sans Mono:style=Bold

If the installation completes successfully, and you can see the fonts in
the output of fc-list(1), you can start Emacs with `DejaVu Sans Mono' as
its font, by typing:

    $ emacs -fn 'DejaVu Sans Mono'

Using a different font size then the default is possible too:

    $ emacs -fn 'DejaVu Sans Mono:size=13'