* quotes/invoices
@ 2014-04-09  6:58 Gour
From: Gour @ 2014-04-09  6:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I did move lot of my stuff to Emacs-related packages and now wonder if I
could replace PHP/MySQL app for creating business quotes and invoices
with some adequate Emacs package?

It should be able to keep records of posted quotes and invoices, items
(we sell services) as well as database of our clients along with ability
to create nice PDF output.

Any hint?

Considering I'm new to Emacs, please, take into consideration I'm not
(yet) too familiar with Elisp hackery.

Sincerely,
Gour

--
One who restrains the senses of action but whose mind dwells on
sense objects certainly deludes himself and is called a pretender.

* Re: quotes/invoices
@ 2014-04-09 12:47 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2014-04-09 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Gour <gour@atmarama.net> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I did move lot of my stuff to Emacs-related packages and now wonder if I
> could replace PHP/MySQL app for creating business quotes and invoices
> with some adequate Emacs package?
>
> It should be able to keep records of posted quotes and invoices, items
> (we sell services) as well as database of our clients along with ability
> to create nice PDF output.
>
> Any hint?
>
> Considering I'm new to Emacs, please, take into consideration I'm not
> (yet) too familiar with Elisp hackery.

Many people use Org for doing things like this: it provides a nice way
to create structured documents, duplicate that structure, create
(simple) data stores, operate on that data with more or less complicated
program snippets, and export the whole mess to a variety of formats,
including PDF via Latex.

If you're a new emacs user you might find it a wee bit overwhelming to
be learning emacs and org at the same time, but in the long run it would
probably be worth it. There's a separate (and very active) Org mailing
list as well.

Eric

http://orgmode.org/

* Re: quotes/invoices
@ 2014-04-09 13:05   ` Gour
From: Gour @ 2014-04-09 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Many people use Org for doing things like this: it provides a nice way
> to create structured documents, duplicate that structure, create
> (simple) data stores, operate on that data with more or less complicated
> program snippets, and export the whole mess to a variety of formats,
> including PDF via Latex.

:-)

> If you're a new emacs user you might find it a wee bit overwhelming to
> be learning emacs and org at the same time, but in the long run it would
> probably be worth it. There's a separate (and very active) Org mailing
> list as well.

Believe it or not, but org-mdoe was the main reason why I switched back
to Emacs - this time by using sticky keys to ao+void (possible) wrist
pain.

I do use orgmode, although I'm still moderate user, but was thinking
there is maybe some other package coming from pre-orgmode era.

Sincerely,
Gour

--
What is night for all beings is the time of awakening
for the self-controlled; and the time of awakening for

* Re: quotes/invoices
@ 2014-04-09 13:14     ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2014-04-09 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Gour <gour@atmarama.net> writes:

>> Many people use Org for doing things like this: it provides a nice way
>> to create structured documents, duplicate that structure, create
>> (simple) data stores, operate on that data with more or less complicated
>> program snippets, and export the whole mess to a variety of formats,
>> including PDF via Latex.
>
> :-)
>
>> If you're a new emacs user you might find it a wee bit overwhelming to
>> be learning emacs and org at the same time, but in the long run it would
>> probably be worth it. There's a separate (and very active) Org mailing
>> list as well.
>
> Believe it or not, but org-mdoe was the main reason why I switched back
> to Emacs - this time by using sticky keys to ao+void (possible) wrist
> pain.
>
> I do use orgmode, although I'm still moderate user, but was thinking
> there is maybe some other package coming from pre-orgmode era.

Ah, then I'm not sure what other options you have. There's actually an
org-invoice package in contrib! Really, the only reason I can think of
for not using org for this sort of thing is if you need something that's
really much closer to a database...

* Re: quotes/invoices
@ 2014-04-09 14:43       ` Sacha Chua
From: Sacha Chua @ 2014-04-09 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello, Eric!

>> I do use orgmode, although I'm still moderate user, but was thinking
>> there is maybe some other package coming from pre-orgmode era.
> Ah, then I'm not sure what other options you have. There's actually an
> org-invoice package in contrib! Really, the only reason I can think of
> for not using org for this sort of thing is if you need something that's
> really much closer to a database...

I'm doing an Emacs Chat livestream/Q&A with Tom Marble at 6 PM EDT
tonight, and he's going to demonstrate an Org-based invoice workflow
that outputs to PDF.

https://plus.google.com/events/capebtcf9ihf98adcj57rvbfcc8

Might be interesting. =) The video recording will be available from the
same page if you don't catch it live.

Sacha

* Re: quotes/invoices
       [not found] <mailman.19256.1397026726.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2014-04-09 18:42 ` Evans Winner
From: Evans Winner @ 2014-04-09 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Gour <gour@atmarama.net> writes:

    It should be able to keep records of posted quotes and invoices, items
    (we sell services) as well as database of our clients along with ability
    to create nice PDF output.

In addition to org-mode, which was already mentioned, you
might look at bbdb for a customer database.  I'm not sure
it's really what you would want, but it might work.

* Re: quotes/invoices
@ 2014-04-09 19:06     ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2014-04-09 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gour; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

() Gour <gour@atmarama.net>
() Wed, 09 Apr 2014 15:05:46 +0200

   I do use orgmode, although I'm still moderate user,
   but was thinking there is maybe some other package
   coming from pre-orgmode era.

Check out EDB:

 http://www.gnuvola.org/software/edb/

It doesn't do "quotes/invoices" out of the box, but
you might be able to build such a system using it.

--
Thien-Thi Nguyen
   GPG key: 4C807502

* Re: quotes/invoices
@ 2014-04-10  5:34         ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2014-04-10  5:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Sacha Chua <sacha@sachachua.com> writes:

> Hello, Eric!
>
>>> I do use orgmode, although I'm still moderate user, but was thinking
>>> there is maybe some other package coming from pre-orgmode era.
>> Ah, then I'm not sure what other options you have. There's actually an
>> org-invoice package in contrib! Really, the only reason I can think of
>> for not using org for this sort of thing is if you need something that's
>> really much closer to a database...
>
> I'm doing an Emacs Chat livestream/Q&A with Tom Marble at 6 PM EDT
> tonight, and he's going to demonstrate an Org-based invoice workflow
> that outputs to PDF.
>
> https://plus.google.com/events/capebtcf9ihf98adcj57rvbfcc8
>
> Might be interesting. =) The video recording will be available from the
> same page if you don't catch it live.
>
> Sacha

Very cool! I was asleep at the time, but I'll watch the recording
tonight, looking forward to it.

* Re: quotes/invoices
@ 2014-04-10  7:58         ` Gour
From: Gour @ 2014-04-10  7:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Sacha Chua <sacha@sachachua.com> writes:

> I'm doing an Emacs Chat livestream/Q&A with Tom Marble at 6 PM EDT
> tonight, and he's going to demonstrate an Org-based invoice workflow
> that outputs to PDF.

Ohh, that's just what we need. :-)

Please, include questions not just about invoices, but quotes as well as
creating quotes/invoices with items containing billing per hour and
fixed products/services.

> Might be interesting. =) The video recording will be available from the
> same page if you don't catch it live.

I'll probably have to go to bed earlier, but wonder if you'll have some
link to the recording on your blog site (to which I'm subscribed to) as
well?

Sincerely,
Gour

--
From anger, complete delusion arises, and from delusion
bewilderment of memory. When memory is bewildered,

* Re: quotes/invoices
@ 2014-04-11 16:29           ` Sacha Chua
From: Sacha Chua @ 2014-04-11 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Gour <gour@atmarama.net> writes:

> Please, include questions not just about invoices, but quotes as well as
> creating quotes/invoices with items containing billing per hour and
> fixed products/services.

I forgot to check emacs-help before the show, but feel free to contact
Tom Marble about that. You can probably work something out with Org
tables and LaTeX export!

>> Might be interesting. =) The video recording will be available from the
>> same page if you don't catch it live.
> I'll probably have to go to bed earlier, but wonder if you'll have some
> link to the recording on your blog site (to which I'm subscribed to) as
> well?

Yup, already up at
http://sachachua.com/blog/2014/04/emacs-chat-tom-marble/ =)

Sacha

* Re: quotes/invoices
@ 2014-04-11 22:24         ` Esben Stien
From: Esben Stien @ 2014-04-11 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Sacha Chua <sacha@sachachua.com> writes:

> I'm doing an Emacs Chat livestream/Q&A with Tom Marble at 6 PM EDT
> tonight, and he's going to demonstrate an Org-based invoice workflow
> that outputs to PDF.

Lots of interesting things there. Thank you.

I use org-mode for my business and I use a customized external python
script to create F60 invoices (Norwegian Invoice Format) from org clock
tables, so I'll definitely check this out and see if I can manage to do
all the same in Emacs;)

F60 is a traditional format here in Norway, but now we're supposed to
move to something new called EHF, which is basically UBL (Universal
Business Language).

Is this something anyone else has heard of?

--
Esben Stien is b0ef@e     s      a
         http://www. s     t    n m