* Running Emacs without any display server
@ 2021-05-18 18:49 Abhiseck Paira
From: Abhiseck Paira @ 2021-05-18 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help Gnu Emacs

Hi,
I was trying to run Emacs without any display server (like Xorg or
wayland) (So I was running Emacs in a tty). Emacs started as expected
but the Alt (Meta) key wasn't working. So I couldn't do 'Alt-x' to do
'M-x' (so I had to do Esc-x instead). Similarly other key combinations
involving Alt key didn't work either (Alt-v, Alt-f etc). Does anyone
know why this is happeing or how to fix this?
--
Abhisek Paira
E34E 825B 979E EB9F 8505  F80E E93D 353B 7740 0709

* Re: Running Emacs without any display server
@ 2021-05-18 20:06 ` Filipp Gunbin
From: Filipp Gunbin @ 2021-05-18 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Abhiseck Paira; +Cc: Help Gnu Emacs

On 19/05/2021 00:19 +0530, Abhiseck Paira wrote:

> Hi,
> I was trying to run Emacs without any display server (like Xorg or
> wayland) (So I was running Emacs in a tty). Emacs started as expected
> but the Alt (Meta) key wasn't working. So I couldn't do 'Alt-x' to do
> 'M-x' (so I had to do Esc-x instead). Similarly other key combinations
> involving Alt key didn't work either (Alt-v, Alt-f etc). Does anyone
> know why this is happeing or how to fix this?
> --
> Abhisek Paira
> E34E 825B 979E EB9F 8505  F80E E93D 353B 7740 0709
> "There is no system but GNU, and Linux is one of its kernels."

But you don't say where you run Emacs.  For example, here in macOS's
Terminal app, I had to tick "Use Option as Meta key" to make it work.

Filipp

* Re: Running Emacs without any display server
@ 2021-05-19  2:12   ` Abhiseck Paira
       [not found]     ` <CALc++3UKjN2Z=ufV+oHCFr3VPNP+A39nY2M9Aqmui82eQScN=Q@mail.gmail.com>
From: Abhiseck Paira @ 2021-05-19  2:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help Gnu Emacs; +Cc: Filipp Gunbin

> But you don't say where you run Emacs.  For example, here in macOS's
> Terminal app, I had to tick "Use Option as Meta key" to make it work.

I run Emacs on GNU/Linux.

Also I have no problem runnning Emacs in a terminal emulator. And almost
all of the time I run the GUI version of Emacs. My problem comes when I
try to run it without any display server (Desktop environment).

--

@ 2021-05-19  2:59       ` Abhiseck Paira
From: Abhiseck Paira @ 2021-05-19  2:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brandon Pribula; +Cc: Help Gnu Emacs

> Which distro are you using? I'm on Slackware current and I just tried
> running emacs in a tty and alt works as expected.

I run Parabola, an Arch based distibution. But Emacs is installed using
Guix package manager. I'd have said so but I thought it will be same
across all distributions. Also I am running Emacs version 27.2 and the
problem exist even when I run with emacs -Q option.

--
Abhisek Paira
E34E 825B 979E EB9F 8505  F80E E93D 353B 7740 0709
"There is no system but GNU, and Linux is one of its kernels."

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Running Emacs without any display server
@ 2021-05-19  3:17         ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2021-05-19  3:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Abhiseck Paira; +Cc: Help Gnu Emacs, Brandon Pribula

* Abhiseck Paira <abhiseckpaira@disroot.org> [2021-05-19 05:54]:

> > Which distro are you using? I'm on Slackware current and I just tried
> > running emacs in a tty and alt works as expected.
>
> I run Parabola, an Arch based distibution. But Emacs is installed using
> Guix package manager. I'd have said so but I thought it will be same
> across all distributions. Also I am running Emacs version 27.2 and the
> problem exist even when I run with emacs -Q option.

Me too, on one of computers there is Parabola GNU/Linux-libre and
Emacs M-x works in console quite well, but without Guix stuff. On a
remote server I have guix package manager, and Emacs works fine
through terminal.

I am thinking if it is related maybe to readline and your locale.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

https://stallmansupport.org/
https://rms-support-letter.github.io/

@ 2021-05-19  7:49     ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2021-05-19  7:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Abhiseck Paira; +Cc: Help Gnu Emacs, Filipp Gunbin

On Wed, May 19, 2021 at 07:42:30AM +0530, Abhiseck Paira wrote:

> > But you don't say where you run Emacs.  For example, here in macOS's
> > Terminal app, I had to tick "Use Option as Meta key" to make it work.
>
> I run Emacs on GNU/Linux.
>
> Also I have no problem runnning Emacs in a terminal emulator. And almost
> all of the time I run the GUI version of Emacs. My problem comes when I
> try to run it without any display server (Desktop environment).

You are running it in the Linux console? FWIW, "mine" works (I know,
but I could otherwise try to reproduce your problem).

Perhaps this [1] (search for the section "Linux Console") or [2]
are helpful.

In a nutshell: the Linux console is configurable, there is loadkeys
and dumpkeys.

HTH

[1] https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/MetaKeyProblems
[2] https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/LinuxConsoleKeys

 - t

* Re: Running Emacs without any display server
@ 2021-05-19 10:28       ` Abhiseck Paira
From: Abhiseck Paira @ 2021-05-19 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tomas; +Cc: Help Gnu Emacs, Filipp Gunbin