From: pillule <pillule@riseup.net>
To: Brandon Taylor <donnie126_2002@hotmail.com>
Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Documentation
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2021 13:25:13 +0200	[thread overview]

Brandon Taylor <donnie126_2002@hotmail.com> writes:

> I’m currently working on a simple .texi file which talks about
> how end users, if they so desire, can
> help patients in India who are struggling to recover from the
> current COVID-19 pandemic. Would it be
> worthwhile to include such a document in Emacs’ help files, and
> if so, where in the repository would
> be the best place to put it?
>
> Brandon Taylor
>
> Sent from Mail<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986>
> for Windows 10

Hi Brandon,

Please don't take the following as an authoritative response, I am
not a core developer ;

If I understand well, what you are referring by ‘help files’ are
Info manuals. There are many Info manuals that are not directly
related to Emacs. On a debian OS you can search for them and
install them without Emacs. Eg one among many others, the package
jargon that is described as :

 This is the Jargon File, a comprehensive compendium of hacker
 slang
 illuminating many aspects of hackish tradition, folklore, and
 humor.
 The file is in info format, but includes an HTML page with links
 to the home site.

Installing this package, does not even update the info directory
available from Emacs. Also Emacs does not have the monopoly of
Info manuals, there is a shell command `info' that can be used to
open a Info manual from a terminal (but it's better with emacs ;).

Even useful Info manuals that are related to programming are not
in the Emacs repository (eg : the bash manual, the core-utils
manual).

So to answer you question; no, I don't think that your .texi file
belong to the Emacs repository because it does not seems directly
related to Emacs. It can be distributed by many ways (on Internet,
on GNU/Linux packages repositories), and exported in also others
formats that an Info manual such as html etc.

But I maybe wrong, and if you want to request this addition on the
emacs repository, the appropriate place to do so is to fill a bug
report with M-x report-emacs-bug or via the emacs-bug mailing
list.