* ispell or aspell (how to change a dictionary in aspell), coding problems
@ 2024-08-09  8:28 Uwe Brauer via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Uwe Brauer via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2024-08-09  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi

I a long time ispell user, but after switching to Ubuntu 24.04 and emacs
29.2, ispell complained about the codification of my private .ispell
wordslist which was in utf8. As Eli told me I should use latin-1 which I
did, but then ispell complained about using latin-1.

So I thought I should give aspell a try

I set ispell-program-name to  "/usr/bin/aspell"

And installed the aspell dictionaries for English, German, French and  Spanish.

However when I wanted to switch to the German dictionary, via
ispell-change-dictionary

no German dictionary was offered (but 65 different versions of English)

The ispell dictionaries are in /usr/lib/ispell
the aspell dictionaries seem to be in /usr/lib/aspell

Any ideas what is wrong?

Regards

Uwe Brauer

--

I strongly condemn Hamas heinous despicable pogroms/atrocities on Israel
I strongly condemn Putin's war of aggression against Ukraine.

* Re: ispell or aspell (how to change a dictionary in aspell), coding problems
@ 2024-08-12  1:27 ` Joel Reicher
From: Joel Reicher @ 2024-08-12  1:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> writes:

> And installed the aspell dictionaries for English, German,
> French and  Spanish.
>
> However when I wanted to switch to the German dictionary, via
> ispell-change-dictionary
>
> no German dictionary was offered (but 65 different versions of
> English)
>
> The ispell dictionaries are in /usr/lib/ispell
> the aspell dictionaries seem to be in /usr/lib/aspell
>
> Any ideas what is wrong?

Is ispell-library-directory set correctly?

Cheers,

        - Joel

* Re: ispell or aspell (how to change a dictionary in aspell), coding problems
@ 2024-08-13  9:49   ` Uwe Brauer via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Uwe Brauer via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2024-08-13  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs