* gnuclient -nw
@ 2002-12-16 11:20 Nicolas Neuss
From: Nicolas Neuss @ 2002-12-16 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8, Size: 1031 bytes --]

Hello!

Several times in the last years people have asked, if it is possible
to use gnuclient inside an ordinary terminal resulting in an Emacs
session for the terminal.  The answer was that XEmacs can and GNU
Emacs can't.  Has this changed with Emacs 21?

Nicolas.

P.S.: I tried it on my Debian system.  Here, gnuclient can open X
frames if the DISPLAY variable is set, but when I call it from a
console without DISPLAY set then I get the error message

error in process filter: Wrong number of arguments: #[(&optional tty terminal-type) "ÂÀ\bÁ	D#‡" [tty terminal-type make-device] 5 "Create a new device on TTY.
  TTY should be the name of a tty device file (e.g. \"/dev/ttyp3\" under
SunOS et al.), as returned by the `tty' command.  A value of nil means
use the stdin and stdout as passed to XEmacs from the shell.
  If TERMINAL-TYPE is non-nil, it should be a string specifying the
type of the terminal attached to the specified tty.  If it is nil,
the terminal type will be inferred from the TERM environment variable."],

only message in thread, other threads:[~2002-12-16 11:20 UTC | newest]