* Linux newbe
@ 2007-07-08  2:47 Charles Goodrich
From: Charles Goodrich @ 2007-07-08  2:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I have used emacs running under windows for years but have found a couple of
behaviors under Linux (ubuntu) that I am unable to understand or change.
First,  I am used to black letters on a white background, but the Linux
version shows white letters on black background and there seems to be no way
to change it.  (I tried help (info pages) on reverse video or inverse video)
used all manner of setq's - nothing changes.
Second,  the clipboard.  Under windows I could transfer text from the kill
ring to another program - say Firefox.  But with Linux, I can set the mark
and point meta-w all i want and nothing shows up that can be "pasted" to
Firefox.
Can anyone help??
-Charlie Goodrich.

* Re: Linux newbe
       [not found] <mailman.3181.1183888252.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-07-08 11:10 ` Daniel Leidisch
From: Daniel Leidisch @ 2007-07-08 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Thus spoke Charles Goodrich <charles.goodrich@gmail.com>:
> Second,  the clipboard.  Under windows I could transfer text from the kill
> ring to another program - say Firefox.  But with Linux, I can set the mark
> and point meta-w all i want and nothing shows up that can be "pasted" to
> Firefox.

Maybe that's what you're looking for:

(setq x-select-enable-clipboard t)

in your .emacs.

Regards,

dhl

* Re: Linux newbe
@ 2007-07-08 12:29 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-07-08 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Goodrich; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 08.07.2007 um 04:47 schrieb Charles Goodrich:

> I am used to black letters on a white background,

On Linux you can use X Resources (look into the GNU Emacs manual,
i.e. C-h i m Emacs and then search for the "Command Line Options and
Arguments" node), which are organised in files like ~/.Xdefaults or
~/.Xresources (depends on the actual code in ~/.xinit or similiar
files (~/.xstart?) which set up the X11 environment).  ~/.Xdefaults
or ~/.Xresources can #include other files with set X application
defaults. A lot "templates" exist in directories like /usr/X11R6/lib/
X11/app-defaults or /usr/X11R7/share/X11/app-defaults.

In the free-form or Lisp section of ~/.emacs you can use for example:

         (setq initial-frame-alist '(
           (mouse-color           . "midnightblue")
           (foreground-color      . "grey20")
           (background-color      . "alice blue")
           (internal-border-width . 2)
           (line-spacing          . 1)
           (active-alpha          . 0.875)
           (inactive-alpha        . 0.75)
           (font . "-*-*-medium-r-normal--10-*-*-*-*-*-fontset-
hiraginomin")
           (top . 25) (left . 650) (width . 91) (height . 50)))
         (setq default-frame-alist '(
           (border-color          . "#4e3831")
           (foreground-color      . "grey10")
           (background-color      . "ghost white")
           (vertical-scroll-bars  . left)
           (cursor-color          . "purple")
           (cursor-type           . box)
           (active-alpha          . 0.75)
           (inactive-alpha        . 0.875)
           (font . "-*-*-medium-r-normal--9-*-*-*-*-*-fontset-
hiraginokaku")
           (top . 50) (left . 150) (width . 89) (height . 56)))

--
Greetings

   Pete

Think of XML as Lisp for COBOL programmers.
                               -- Tony-A (some guy on /.)

* Re: Linux newbe
@ 2007-07-08 13:37   ` Sven Bretfeld
From: Sven Bretfeld @ 2007-07-08 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sun, Jul 08, 2007 at 02:29:54PM +0200, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 08.07.2007 um 04:47 schrieb Charles Goodrich:
>
> >I am used to black letters on a white background,
>
> On Linux you can use X Resources (look into the GNU Emacs manual,
> i.e. C-h i m Emacs and then search for the "Command Line Options and
> Arguments" node), which are organised in files like ~/.Xdefaults or
> ~/.Xresources (depends on the actual code in ~/.xinit or similiar
> files (~/.xstart?) which set up the X11 environment).  ~/.Xdefaults
> or ~/.Xresources can #include other files with set X application
> defaults. A lot "templates" exist in directories like /usr/X11R6/lib/
> X11/app-defaults or /usr/X11R7/share/X11/app-defaults.

An easier way is to install the meta-package emacs-goodies which is part of the
Ubuntu main repository. It contains the package color-theme. You
configure it by inserting to your .emacs:

(require 'color-theme)
(color-theme-dark-blue2)

"dark-blue2" ist the name of a certain color theme included in the
package. You have to replace that with the name of your chosen
theme. You can have a preview of all contained color themes with

M-x color-theme TAB TAB

I'm sure you will find one that suits your needs.

Greetings,

Sven

@ 2007-07-09  7:52 ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2007-07-09  7:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"Charles Goodrich" <charles.goodrich@gmail.com> writes:

> I have used emacs running under windows for years but have found a couple of
> behaviors under Linux (ubuntu) that I am unable to understand or change.
> First,  I am used to black letters on a white background, but the Linux
> version shows white letters on black background and there seems to be no way
> to change it.  (I tried help (info pages) on reverse video or inverse video)
> used all manner of setq's - nothing changes.
> Second,  the clipboard.  Under windows I could transfer text from the kill
> ring to another program - say Firefox.  But with Linux, I can set the mark and
> point meta-w all i want and nothing shows up that can be "pasted" to Firefox.
> Can anyone help??
> -Charlie Goodrich.

The colours of text can be changed either in your .emacs via customize or via
an entry in .Xresources (this is likely wehre ubuntu sets it). Have a look at
the Xresources section of the emacs manual.

Under X windows, pasting is achieved with the middle mouse button. So, in
emacs, select the region and copy as normal and then move to firefox and put
the cursor where you want to paste and hit the middle mouse button.

Note that if your doing this copy and paste to put URLs into the address box,
there is a much easier way. Use browse-url - usinig this package, when yo click
on a url in emacs, it will open the page in firefox (or whatever browser you
prefer.)

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au