* What would turn off Auto Fill Mode? i.e. My (setq auto-fill-mode t) seems to get overrun.
@ 2008-11-28  4:34 seberino
From: seberino @ 2008-11-28  4:34 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

My .emacs has (setq auto-fill-mode t) .

I've noticed sometimes Auto Fill Mode gets turned off somehow without
me doing it.

What would actually intentionally turn off this wonderful mode?

Chris

* Re: What would turn off Auto Fill Mode? i.e. My (setq auto-fill-mode t) seems to get overrun.
@ 2008-11-28  7:42 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2008-11-28  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"seberino@spawar.navy.mil" <seberino@spawar.navy.mil> writes:

Hi,

> My .emacs has (setq auto-fill-mode t) .

Don't try to enable modes by setting their mode variable.  In general
these are only there to indicate if a mode is on or off, but setting
them won't do anything.

Instead use the mode function:

   (auto-fill-mode 1)

Bye,
Tassilo
--
      "DRM manages rights in the same way a jail manages freedom"