* Emacs Gnus open error?
@ 2009-10-19 14:56 Shenli
From: Shenli @ 2009-10-19 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi all,

I have used Emacs for several month, love it and try to use it as a
mail/news
client.

After set gnus-select-method(is it the minimal setting option?) by
custom-set-variables
'(gnus-select-method (quote (nntp "gnu.emacs.bug")))

I try to link to the news server, but Emacs give out error as below.

"Unable to open server nntp+gnu.emacs.bug, go offline?
nntp (gnu.emacs.bug) open error: '', Continue?"

My environment is WinXP and Emacs23.1.
Any suggestion is welcome!

Thanks,
Shenli

* Re: Emacs Gnus open error?
@ 2009-10-19 15:25 ` Richard Riley
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Richard Riley @ 2009-10-19 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Shenli <zhushenli@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I have used Emacs for several month, love it and try to use it as a
> mail/news
> client.
>
> After set gnus-select-method(is it the minimal setting option?) by
> custom-set-variables
> '(gnus-select-method (quote (nntp "gnu.emacs.bug")))
>
> I try to link to the news server, but Emacs give out error as below.
>
> "Unable to open server nntp+gnu.emacs.bug, go offline?
> nntp (gnu.emacs.bug) open error: '', Continue?"
>
> My environment is WinXP and Emacs23.1.
> Any suggestion is welcome!
>
> Thanks,
> Shenli

gnu.emacs.bug is not an nntp server afaik ... more likely it is a group.

You can sign up for a free nntp server account here:

http://www.eternal-september.org

then add it to your select methods with

,----
| (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
|               '(nntp "motzarella"
|   		       (nntp-authinfo-file "~/.authinfo.gpg")
|                        (nntp-address "news.eternal-september.org")
| 		       (nntp-port-number 119)
| 		       )
| 	      )
`----

regards

r.

* Re: Emacs Gnus open error?
@ 2009-10-19 16:33 ` Andreas Politz
From: Andreas Politz @ 2009-10-19 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Shenli <zhushenli@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I have used Emacs for several month, love it and try to use it as a
> mail/news
> client.
>
> After set gnus-select-method(is it the minimal setting option?) by
> custom-set-variables
> '(gnus-select-method (quote (nntp "gnu.emacs.bug")))
>
> I try to link to the news server, but Emacs give out error as below.
>
> "Unable to open server nntp+gnu.emacs.bug, go offline?
> nntp (gnu.emacs.bug) open error: '', Continue?"
>
> My environment is WinXP and Emacs23.1.
> Any suggestion is welcome!

As Richard pointed out, this is a news-group not a server.  Gmane is a
free server, which can be used w/o registrations.

(setq gnus-select-method
      '(nntp "Gmane"
             (nntp-address "news.gmane.org")))

Here is something to get you started.

;; start gnus
M-x gnus RET
;; Group buffer -> Server buffer
^
;; move point to news.gmane.org and press
RET
;; search gmane.emacs.bugs and press
;; quit server buffer
qq
;; update Group buffer
;; move point to news.gmane.org
;; read last 1000 articles
C-u 1000 RET

-ap

> Thanks,
> Shenli

* Re: Emacs Gnus open error?
@ 2009-10-19 16:42   ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2009-10-19 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Andreas Politz <politza@fh-trier.de> writes:

> Shenli <zhushenli@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have used Emacs for several month, love it and try to use it as a
>> mail/news
>> client.
>>
>> After set gnus-select-method(is it the minimal setting option?) by
>> custom-set-variables
>> '(gnus-select-method (quote (nntp "gnu.emacs.bug")))
>>
>> I try to link to the news server, but Emacs give out error as below.
>>
>> "Unable to open server nntp+gnu.emacs.bug, go offline?
>> nntp (gnu.emacs.bug) open error: '', Continue?"
>>
>> My environment is WinXP and Emacs23.1.
>> Any suggestion is welcome!
>
> As Richard pointed out, this is a news-group not a server.  Gmane is a
> free server, which can be used w/o registrations.
>
> (setq gnus-select-method
>       '(nntp "Gmane"
>              (nntp-address "news.gmane.org")))

oh cool! I didn't know that gmane was a news server too ..

(lets see if this posts!)

> Here is something to get you started.
>
> ;; start gnus
> M-x gnus RET
> ;; Group buffer -> Server buffer
> ^
> ;; move point to news.gmane.org and press
> RET
> ;; search gmane.emacs.bugs and press
> ;; quit server buffer
> qq
> ;; update Group buffer
> ;; move point to news.gmane.org
> ;; read last 1000 articles
> C-u 1000 RET
>
> -ap
>

>> Thanks,
>> Shenli

* Re: Emacs Gnus open error?
@ 2009-10-20 17:24 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2009-10-20 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 07:56:43 -0700 (PDT) Shenli <zhushenli@gmail.com> wrote:

S> After set gnus-select-method(is it the minimal setting option?) by
S> custom-set-variables
S> '(gnus-select-method (quote (nntp "gnu.emacs.bug")))

S> I try to link to the news server, but Emacs give out error as below.

S> "Unable to open server nntp+gnu.emacs.bug, go offline?
S> nntp (gnu.emacs.bug) open error: '', Continue?"

The minimal setting would be to use the nnml backend since it doesn't
open any network connections.  Some people prefer to use the nnnil
backend, which is even simpler but won't allow you to do anything inside
it, so you'll need secondary or foreign servers for everything.

Ted

* Re: Emacs Gnus open error?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-10-21 16:29 ` dhg::Newsfork
From: dhg::Newsfork @ 2009-10-21 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

try to use 'news.cn99.com', which is a newsgroup server located in
China.

--
(dhg) darcsis AT gmail dot COM