Bob Bernstein writes: > Emacs, unless specifically told not to do it -- with the > '-nw' option, will ordinarily launch here (in an xterm) in X > window fashion, and the Meta key is then 'Alt'. > > Launched in the same xterm, with '-nw,' emacs uses Esc for > its Meta key, which I find um disenchanting, for lack of a > better term. > > Do I need to place some information in my .emacs, perhaps > related to the minibuffer, instructing emacs to stay with Alt > for its Meta key? > > Or is this a matter of setting my xterm correctly? > > (A thousand pardons if this is a F A Q.) Another thing to try: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xterm#Fix_the_.27Alt.27_key /M -- Magnus Therning OpenPGP: 0x927912051716CE39 email: magnus@therning.org jabber: magnus@therning.org twitter: magthe http://therning.org/magnus Finagle's Sixth Law: Don't believe in miracles -- rely on them.